Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Seen the new ATF Regs >

Seen the new ATF Regs

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Seen the new ATF Regs

Old 01-29-2003, 01:19 PM
bigcountry

Default Seen the new ATF Regs

I didn't take them seriously until I was at Bass Pro while ago and saw a sign on the wall saying you will have to have a licence or permit to buy "explosives" after May 24. They wouldn't have put it up there for nothing.

Old 01-29-2003, 04:22 PM

Default RE: Seen the new ATF Regs

I haven't seen it yet but that's very interesting. Does this include BP? Ammo? What? I plan on heading to Bass Pro this weekend. I'm going to ask them about it.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:25 PM

By the way, BP is not an explosive. Neither is ammo or most of the other stuff that the average LEGAL hunter uses in pursuit of his chosen quarry. That is unless they have changed the classifications. I'm going to try to find a website for them and look into it.
Old 01-29-2003, 04:54 PM

I just got back from the ATF website and this new reg does not affect sportsmen and reloaders. It is mainly targeted at agricultural, commercial, and industrial users. It is concerned with thing like ammonium nitrate, dynamite, TNT, etc. They are just tightening the restictions on these areas. The notice was appearantly sent out to all ATF license holders. I could be wrong here but I read it very carefully and it did specifically say that the BP exemption was NOT affected.
Old 01-29-2003, 05:44 PM

Blood is right.....sporting users are not required to have any permit.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Several of my friends are either police or firemen and a few good friends that work for gunshops. All inform me that what we use is classified as propellents not explosives which do require licenses to purchase and store in most parts of the country.
Old 01-30-2003, 09:28 AM
bigcountry

Well, just got back from breakfast with a ATF agent that I am very good freinds with. He doesn't like the wording either. This is one section that says "smallarms components" is not an explosive but another that does classify blackpowder and smokeless as an explosive. My friend as a reloader and long range shooter feels they left the door open for very easy admendment if the powers that be decide. I don't know about you guys, but he is uncomfortable, I will take his work over yours. I mean you already have to have a licience or permit to buy "explosives", so why the new section and new reiteration. And on the new reiteration with the agicultural chemicals, check out what else is on it. Thats right, smokeless and blackpowder. I mean as someone put it, "The brady bill wasn't supposed to affect handgun sales to honest citizens". Yea right.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/explarson/n...notice_943.pdf

Old 01-30-2003, 11:31 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-30-2003, 04:07 PM
bigcountry

Gosh I hope so DG. I was so bothered by this when seeing this yesterday hung up at Bass Pro. You would think they would have known better to get people like myself up in a tizzy.

Old 01-30-2003, 10:26 PM

Black powder is classified as a PRIMARY explosive, as are most of the BP substitutes. Smokeless powder is classified as a flammable solid. The difference is smokeless powder burns faster when pressure increases while explosives always burn at the same rate.
Look at the shipping regs on both and you will find tighter restrictions on black powder than on smokless powders. The same is true with storage regs.

PaulS

Think safety, act safely, live long enough to enjoy it

Quick Reply: Seen the new ATF Regs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.