Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Tipped Trophy Bonded Bear Claw >

Tipped Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Tipped Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Old 12-20-2007, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Tipped Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Has any one tried it yet? It looks pretty awesome.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:38 PM

Default RE: Tipped Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

in what?????????
Old 12-20-2007, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have yet to reload with them. I did shoot them in my 25-06 when federal loaded them in that cartridge. Accuracy was slightly below average, but I always had a good exit. I have looked into loading them and have held off for a couple of reasons. A weight forward design does not lend its self to the best accuracy, being less stable. The solid copper portion of the bullet is approximately half of the bullet length. This causes higher chamber pressures like the original barns bullets and generally have to be loaded to slightly less velocity. I had read about others reloading them and not getting the groups they wanted, some did some did not. A polymer tip will not help alleviate either of these issues. The tip should help accuracy some given that the original has basically a small flat tip, All of that being said, it is a great bullet especially if you could find the right load and are willing to settle for a little less velocity. It may not be the most accurate, but will penetrate any animal in its way at almost any angle at even the highest veloicties. I wished they still loaded them in 25-06. When fed stopped, I started to get into reloading. Maybe it is time for me to look again.

mello

PS they are costly at over $1.25 a piece! ouch!
Old 12-21-2007, 09:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: backyardreloader

in what?????????
Anything...
Old 12-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mello_collins

I have yet to reload with them. I did shoot them in my 25-06 when federal loaded them in that cartridge. Accuracy was slightly below average, but I always had a good exit. I have looked into loading them and have held off for a couple of reasons. A weight forward design does not lend its self to the best accuracy, being less stable. The solid copper portion of the bullet is approximately half of the bullet length. This causes higher chamber pressures like the original barns bullets and generally have to be loaded to slightly less velocity. I had read about others reloading them and not getting the groups they wanted, some did some did not. A polymer tip will not help alleviate either of these issues. The tip should help accuracy some given that the original has basically a small flat tip, All of that being said, it is a great bullet especially if you could find the right load and are willing to settle for a little less velocity. It may not be the most accurate, but will penetrate any animal in its way at almost any angle at even the highest veloicties. I wished they still loaded them in 25-06. When fed stopped, I started to get into reloading. Maybe it is time for me to look again.

mello

PS they are costly at over $1.25 a piece! ouch!
I think your thinking about the regular TBBC. The new tipped one won't be sold as a component until sometime next year (I e-mailed Speers yesterday). The new one is nickel coated, boatail, and has the rings like TSX's, and of course the polymer tip, it is suppose to have a good BC too.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

Yea I was writing mostly about the old TBBC. Do you have a link to see the new bullet? It will still be expensive. I thought nickel was a pretty hard metal. I’ll have to look into that. The weight will still be forward though. I wonder if the rings will be like the tsx or like a GS custom HV? Any info you have would be appreciated. It should be a winner. Way over kill for white tail, but there is no such thing as to dead. (unless you count meat loss)

mello
Old 12-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

I read it in American Rifleman magazine, http://www.nrapublications.org/tar/index.asp

They kinda mention it on the lower right side of their homepage, but you can't click on it.

The rings look like a TSX to me, but I'm not familiar with the other one. I can't find any online info about it...[:@]
Old 12-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Typical Buck

I use the old TBBC also (140 gr .280 & 115gr .257 Roberts). Did not know they make a new one.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:11 PM

I used this bullet in the 140 grain .270 on elk; and it performed real well. At 3300 fps MV, the mushroomed bullet was found just under the hide on a 100 yard broadside rib shot. Almost no weight loss. Expanded to about .70 caliber.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I used this bullet in the 140 grain .270 on elk; and it performed real well. At 3300 fps MV, the mushroomed bullet was found just under the hide on a 100 yard broadside rib shot. Almost no weight loss. Expanded to about .70 caliber.
The Tipped one...?

Quick Reply: Tipped Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.