Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Belted Magnum Resizing Problems? >

Belted Magnum Resizing Problems?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Belted Magnum Resizing Problems?

Old 12-10-2007, 06:32 PM

Default Belted Magnum Resizing Problems?

I'm a new reloader who has been learning a lot from this forum. I'm in the process of starting to reload for the 7MM Rem Mag. and read about a die sold by Midsouth Shooters Supply and made by Innovative Technologies. The ad says, "Conventional resizing dies cannot fully restore belted cases to their original size just above the belt. These cases soon develop a "bulge" around the case (after 2 or 3 firings) and once that happens, the case is useless. Our die is used to eliminate the case "bulge" after using your full length die."

Is this a gimmick, or does this die really work to prevent the pressure ring from developing? Does anyone use one of these dies? If so, how many reloads can you get from the case?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:22 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Belted Magnum Resizing Problems?

yes, it is a gimmick. All that happens if your case forms to your chamber. Kinda like fire forming. Don't waste your money.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:48 PM

i totaly agree with bigcontry!!!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've reloaded 7 Mag casings for years with regular old RCBS conventional dies and never had any problems like that. Like ith other posters said, don't waste your money. Some "Spin Doctor" thought that one up............
Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wonder how many are going to be sucked in by this gimmick.I have reloaded magnums for over 40 years with RCBS equipment, and some of my cases are almost as old as me. A little annealing, and problems are solved. All that you need is a neck sizer, and a full length resizer for when they start to get a little tight,a case trimmer for when they lengthen, a good scale,reloading components and you are good to go!
Old 12-11-2007, 02:55 PM

Thank you all for responding. I thought it may have been a gimmick, but without enough experience under my belt, I really wasn't sure. You've saved me a bunch of $$. Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SkipD

I'm a new reloader who has been learning a lot from this forum. I'm in the process of starting to reload for the 7MM Rem Mag. and read about a die sold by Midsouth Shooters Supply and made by Innovative Technologies. The ad says, "Conventional resizing dies cannot fully restore belted cases to their original size just above the belt. These cases soon develop a "bulge" around the case (after 2 or 3 firings) and once that happens, the case is useless. Our die is used to eliminate the case "bulge" after using your full length die."

Is this a gimmick, or does this die really work to prevent the pressure ring from developing? Does anyone use one of these dies? If so, how many reloads can you get from the case?
While it is entirely possible for a rifle with an exceedingly sloppy chamber to allow the "pressure ring" just in front of the belt to expand more than it should, and thereby become "useless" after only two or three firings, I have to comment: Even if this happened, it would only be for use in other rifles, ones with tighter dimensions ahead of the belt, that a problem would arise. A given chamber is not going to permit your brass to expand too much to go back into THAT SAME CHAMBER! If that happened, it would be due to ruinously excessive pressures, not just because the cartridge has a belt!

Second comment: I have been loading for a number of different belted rounds now since about 1960. In all that time, I have NEVER encountered a belted case that would not go back into the chamber it was just fired in, regardless of the number of times it was reloaded. Somecase mouths split for overworking, however.

IF one had a great number of belted cases that had been fird in a bunch of different rifles, that head diameter reduction die might be useful to prep all of them for use in a different gun(s). But that would be the extent of it.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:26 PM

I have a Browning Pump Rifle chambered in 300 Winchester Magnum and I have bought and taken back 3 sets of RCBS full length dies.

The cases all have a pressure ring right in front of the belt and it measures 2 - 3 thousandths bigger than a factory load.

All of them are loaded to the length or slightly less than the length in the reloaders manual and compared to a factory load and within .001 of a inch and still they will not chamber in my rifle.

I also bought two boxes of old Super X Winchester reloads and they will not chamber inside of my rifle either.

I would complain about the rifle, but it shoots sub moa at 100 yards and bulls eyes at 200 yards.

I was told that there is a crimper that you can buy, like the one that you use on the base of a shot gun shell that will resize the base of the .300 shell to make it fit in my chamber. But for now, I use factory loads only in this rifle.

I probably have 10 or more boxes of reloads in my cabinet that will not work, or will work if you force them into the chamber. But I do not want to abuse this rifle and so they can sit for now.

With only 3 boxes of factory loads through this rifle, I hope some day that it will wear a little and the reloads might fit.

So although this manufacturers claim might be a gimic, if it was real, I would also be interested in buying one of their resizer dies.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have noticed on my .340 Wby. Mag. after aboutfive firings I begin to see scratch marks just above the belt where the case hangs up when bolt is cycled, but by that time the primer pockets have stretched, so I toss the case anyway. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Spike

As I understand it the standard full length resizing die does not resize to factory specs but does reduce the fired case to somewhere between its fired size and factory new size.

There are dies that will further reduce the cartridge size to at or near factory specs. As I recall they are called small base dies or something like that. These dies are recommended for semi autos to assure reliable chambering. I would bet a die like I described would fix the case problem in a pump gun too.

Quick Reply: Belted Magnum Resizing Problems?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.