HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   beam or electronic loading scale (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/218970-beam-electronic-loading-scale.html)

corey012778 11-21-2007 11:11 PM

beam or electronic loading scale

I am looking into a loading scale and I don't know which way to go. I know the pro's and con's of both the beam and electronic scales. So which would be best for limited space to load in?

stalkingbear 11-22-2007 07:14 AM

RE: beam or electronic loading scale

I've been wanting one of those all in 1 scale and dispenser so bad I can taste it. Just punch in amount of grains you want,and it'll be perfectly weighed out quickly.

Lubricious 11-22-2007 08:56 AM

Im skeptical about the perfect but it would be damn close. Id have to see to believe or have some strong testimony.

Pawildman 11-22-2007 02:07 PM

I've had trouble with electronic balances in the past...repeatability problems...tare problems...I've gone back to my beam balance. Perhaps things have changed with the elect. balances over the past few years, but I'm gonna have to be really convinced before I try them again.

Dan in Alaska 11-22-2007 02:36 PM

I have both, and I prefer to use my balance scale while weighing powder charges. The electronic scale comes in handy for weight sorting cases, quickly checking weights, etc. I really don't use my electronic scale much, though.

corey012778 11-22-2007 05:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

I've had trouble with electronic balances in the past...repeatability problems...tare problems...I've gone back to my beam balance. Perhaps things have changed with the elect. balances over the past few years, but I'm gonna have to be really convinced before I try them again.
yeah that was one of the forseen problems I thought of. working in deli's and meat rooms, I have seen the same problems with the high end food grade scales. At the place I work now, we use an spring style scale.

this helps a lot, I may get a beam balance. now which one. rbcs 505 or lee safety scale? I have heard good things about both.

johnny2 11-22-2007 06:22 PM

I have the Pact didgit scales.push a button and she dumps out the charge.
Have had it 5 years now with no problems what ever..And it is accurate..
I have checked it with other scales and it weighs the same..

The only bad thing is it is not really made for ball powders,like Hodgons.
it seems to jam up at times.But this is mentioned in the direction sheets..

A friend of mine has the RCBS automatic and he likes his as well...I load
and average of 250 rounds a week if the weather is good..

driftrider 11-22-2007 06:27 PM

I have both, and I prefer the electronic scale. It's much faster to use. It is, however, important to turn the scale on and let it stabilize for several minutes before calibrating it and using it. If you don't let the scale stabilize it won't hold a zero very well. I also recheck the calibration every so often to be sure it's accurate.

If I just need to quickly weigh something I'll use the beam scale. If I'm were planning to actually spend time working at the bench with a scale, I'd fire up the electronic scale in advance.

Mike

handloader1 11-22-2007 09:57 PM

I have a Pact scale, and it works great. Good luck.

stubblejumper 11-22-2007 11:11 PM

My rcbs electronic scale is just as consistant as my old 10-10 balance scale,but it is much faster to use.