HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Deer with my 22-250 ?????????? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/218511-deer-my-22-250-a.html)

johnny2 11-19-2007 03:38 PM

Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

I have a new savage rifle in 22-250 cal and I believe it to be a 1-14twist..What is a good bullet to use for deer hunting? Would the V-max be good for head or lung shots..Nothing will be over 300 yards..I have several bullets availabe..What about the ballistic bullets? Thanks..Johnny

Lubricious 11-19-2007 05:29 PM

RE: Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

A good bullet would be 6mm or better. Just because you can doesnt mean you should.

jeepkid 11-19-2007 05:38 PM

Read Here:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2440664

driftrider 11-19-2007 07:28 PM

I don't think that using any .224cal CF for deer is a good idea. As said before, just because it can and has been done, doesn't mean it's a wise thing to do (it's an ethical question). But if you do decide to try it, I think it's important that you realize that your .22-250 has a twist rate (1:14") designed for bullets of standard weight for caliber and less (55gr). It MIGHT stabilize 62gr bullets, but it's not likely to stabilize any bullet heavier than that. The problem is that all the bullets that are "suitable" (I use the term loosely) for deer are heavier than standard. The V-Max and .224cal Nosler Ballistic Tips are VARMINT bullets that are designed to fragment explosively on impact and hence may not penetrate deep enough to humanely kill a deer. Barnes has a video of their Varmint Grenade bullet completely disintegrating before passing through a cherry tomato. You might consider trying the 62gr Barnes TSX.

As far as head and neck shots are concerned, I think that they are unwise at best. There are plenty of people who do it, but I'd also guess that there are many deer that have suffered nasty but not soon fatal wounds because from "hunters" attempting such shots. If you've ever seen the movie "The Patriot", you're familiar with the saying "Aim small, MISS SMALL".

I'd STRONGLY suggest you consider something a little larger. The .243Win would so quite well, as would the .25-06 or 7mm-08. Save the varmint rifle for varmints.

Mike

cataway 11-19-2007 07:59 PM

i dont know if you can get it or not but the milatry used a bullet that would tumble when it hit ,it would do a fair amount of damage, shot from a m16 they may still be using it for all i know

driftrider 11-19-2007 08:37 PM

ORIGINAL: cataway

i dont know if you can get it or not but the milatry used a bullet that would tumble when it hit ,it would do a fair amount of damage, shot from a m16 they may still be using it for all i know
The current production M855/SS109 62gr FMJ green tip NATO ball ammo will tumble on impact, and will generally break in half at the cannellure when it hits above 2700fps, but it is NOT considered an expanding bullet and therefore is not legal or ethical for big game. It is a military bullet that is designed to produce casualties within the limits of the Hague Accords, not necessarily to kill as quickly as possible (kill a man, you take one man out of the fight, wound a man and you take out at least two, him and the guy(s) who has to carry him). It is NOT for hunting anything on more than two legs!

Mike

Soilarch 11-19-2007 09:59 PM

STOP!!!
NO!!!!
STOP!!!

I'm in your EXACT shoes. I have a remington with 1-14" twist, but I *believe* your savage will actually have a 1-12" twist. That's not important. There are very few factory ammos that would even be close to suitable. Ballistic tips...no Unless Nosler has come out with two seperate BT for .224 all their .224 BT are designed for varmints. I've lost 100% of the deers I've shot. (One deer, perfect broadside at 50 yards) I would think you have the same scenario with the .224 V-Max. I've tried the 64gr powepoints by winchester...horrible accuracy for a 22-250 (about 3" at 100yards)...this is due to my 1-14" twist and your gun may handle it better...but it's still pushing it to try and get a 64gr bullet to stabilize in a 1-12" twist. I brought down a nice doe at about 30yards with this load (ruined the far-side shoulder too!)

I can't get the nosler partitions to stabilize in my handloads...and I've not used them due to this
I can get the Barnes 53gr blue bullets to go in the same hole...but I've lost one deer to these as well...another perfect 60yard presentation.

Federal makes a load with the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw...cant find them around here but they ought to be acceptable as well.

LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES....factory ammo is NOT suitable for deer.
Handloads MIGHT be...at least you can use non-varmint bullets and get some penetration.

I will only use it for neck and head shots from now on. The only nice thing about this is the low recoil and inherent accuracies make this a SLIGHTLY better proposition than normal.

I read all the articles in favor of the 22-250 as deer cartridge...but without custom gun to shoot the heavy bullets...or custom ammunition WITH head/neck shots my experience gives a resounding NO!
STOP!!!!!
NO!!!
STOP!!!!

Learn from mistakes/arrogance!

eldeguello 11-20-2007 07:20 AM

ORIGINAL: johnny2

I have a new savage rifle in 22-250 cal and I believe it to be a 1-14twist..What is a good bullet to use for deer hunting? Would the V-max be good for head or lung shots..Nothing will be over 300 yards..I have several bullets availabe..What about the ballistic bullets? Thanks..Johnny
In a .22/250 or a 220 Swift, you MUST use tough bullets for deer, as the varmint bullets at those velocities are BOMBS designed to blow up on contact with things like prairie dogs and crows! Minimum would be the 64-grain Winchester bullet, and I would personally use the 60 grain Nosler Partition, the Bear Claw, or one of the Barnes "X" type bullets, IF my rifle shot any of them well. The 53-grain Barnes X might work in a 1/14twist. Pinpoint accuracy is essential, if you insist on shooting deer with a .224" bullet! In addition, you will need ALL the penetration you can get, and NO varmint bullet such as the V-Max or similar is reliable enough regarding penetration! They are designed to do the opposite.You don't want a deer running off with a big shallow hole blasted in its' side.

johnny2 11-20-2007 08:37 AM

All good sound advice and I appreciate it as well..
Only thing I still have trouble understanding is
why have I killed several deer with a 222 and the
22-250 is not as good..I realizethe bullets I
mentioned were not a good choice and I knew that
when I posted the question. I was just courious as
to the answers I would receive..I have the Bear
claw bullets and am going to try them for accuracy
if it stops raining...

I know of others who use high power rifles and the
bullets seems to pass right on through and they
lose game every time..So is this also a choice of
bad bullets or too much power or if the truth be
known,poor bullet placement?

So now I suppose I have to get out there and find
a 243 cal..I do have loading dies for it..[8D]

Once again I say thank you for your comments....Should
I use my 300WSM instead....

Pioneer2 11-20-2007 08:38 AM

If you have ever shot one head of game or seen it shot with .222,.223.22-250 or .220 Swift we wouldn't be having this conversation.One shot kills all like an electricution.Lungs and heart fall out while dressing as one clot.They are all accurate enough to leave no excusses for missing or crippling game.I have used Hornsdy's 55gr SP with the cannalure in the .222 and .223.[bang flop]If you can't hit a basket ball size lung area while staying away from the shoulder blades you shouldn't be carrying a gun.The Swift and 22-250 both work well with 55-60gr bullets.Deer typically either drop dead on the spot or the classic 25yd I don't feel so good dash and do a faceplant.Never shot one twice or lost one? Three black bears as well.............Harold [The Inuit shoot walruses,seals ,caribou and yes polar bear with lowly .222]It's not what you shoot ,it's how well you shoot it! [not directed at anyone in particular]