Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Deer with my 22-250 ?????????? >

Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

Old 12-23-2007, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

And you can shim a scope..Have you ever heard of lapping the scope rings? Probably
not..You are like alot of other guys I know,,They read alot and talk alot,but never
do much shooting..Hell,I shot 31 lbs of Goex 2F last year...And I don't care if you
believe it or not..You are just trying to impress other huys on here,by calling
someone else a liar or a dummy..I wish you lived around here,I would like to see
just HOW much you really know..I will pray for you tonight....If there is any hope
for a dumb ass such as yourself...Steve Garbe can tell you all about it...And I have shot
right along side of Paul Matthews,Jerry Matalavage-Marvin mussleman...I aint
afraid to play with the big boys and thier toys..
Hey Ridge Runner, this punk's calling you out! I'd LOVE to see these two guys square off at a 1000 yard range each with their best rifles. I KNOW where my money would be.

Johnny...while I'm confident you're not COMPLETELY full of s**t, I think you're in over your head when discussing LR shooting with Ridge Runner. He knows his stuff and it's applied knowledge, and I'd believe him long before I'd believe you. He's already pulled your punk card on the 22-250 at 1750 yards. As far as your BP 45-70 claims...I'd like to know how big the target you're shooting at is...

Mike

Old 12-24-2007, 08:48 PM

RR--wHAT CAL DID YOU SHOOT THAT GROUP WITH? Impressive I must say.....

The size of the targets for 1000 yard black powder cartridge rifles is I
think 5 foot by 8 foot..And I believe the center is a 13 inch bull....Something
like an old military 5V target..
Old 12-24-2007, 09:56 PM
SST

Well,no matter what you all say,I have kilt 2 deer this year with the 22-250
all were dead with in a minute or two...One was shot at 450 yards in the neck.
She went down like a ton of bricks.The other 2 bucks were any where from
170 to 325 yards..Same thing..So I guess I answered my own question..
The 22-250 WILL do the job and do it well...My bullet was the 55 grain Hornady
V-MAX.......No meat wasted either...
[hr]
A neck shot calls for for a very small margin of error. You must hit the spine, which isn't really that difficult at relatively close range on a standing deer (provided you also know exactly where the spine is). Or, you must be lucky enough to sever the carotid artery or jugular vein. I'm not saying that this feat is not possible at 450 yards, but I am curious exactly where you were aiming when you pulled off this feat. I've run the numbers on three different ballistic calculators which claim that a 55gr V-Max, with a .255 ballistic coefficient, leaving the muzzle at 3800fps and zeroed at 250 yards, drops over 18" below the line of sight, and will be shoved over 20" laterally in a 10mph wind at 450 yards. I'm a pretty good shot and can dope wind fairly well, but that would be a very tough shot for me. Please tell me how you did it. I might try it on a paper target, but not on a live deer.
[align=left] [/align]
Old 12-24-2007, 11:29 PM

What da heck!?!?!??!?!?? Do you hunt with the 7mm Allen mag? What's the heaviest 7mm bullets you've found?
Old 12-25-2007, 08:06 AM

RR---Very impressive...I had a 30-338 years back that was also a good shooter..But the barrel (HART) would heat up pretty fast on it..That was the biggest problem as far as competeing with it..We were allowed 6 minutes for unlimited sighter rounds and then 10 minutes for score..If I shot more than 3 rounds for sighters I might as well quit..I used the 190 grain Sierra match bullets At around 2900 fps..It had a KDF break,which was not allowed when competeing..
Old 12-25-2007, 02:38 PM

Merry Christmas....good grief, I can't imagine putting 110gr of powder behind a bullet. I know different powders have radically different behaviors but there's something psychologically unsettling about it when I've seen what a "measly" 20gr can do in my 44 and what 35gr can do in my 22-250!!!!

Learned the accuracy/performance VS weight dilemma long ago...sucks that we can't have our cake and eat it too! lol
Old 12-25-2007, 02:54 PM

Oh yeah--I used to shoot at Bodine,PA...down below trout run..I think the record there now is with the
6.5x284 or something like that..The smallest I ever managed with the 30-338 was 10 inches..No matter what I could not get it any smaller..Maybe with a heavyer barrel it would have done better..I forgot to tell you that I used IMR 7828 in that rifle...A friend of mine has a 22 Clark Which will do fairly well on a nice calm day..You will have to come over some time and try it with your Allen..
Old 12-25-2007, 03:04 PM

And i'm sorry if you misunderstood..I never said I shot the 22-250 at that range..I said the scope wouold range out that far..**** a 22 would never do that..Even the 50 BMG has trouble unless the conditions are super..And your right the BSA isn't a good choice,but it does work...For a 1K shoot a 10 or12 is all you need to keep the heat waves from distorting the target..I have even but a piece of venetion blind on the barrel to help dispurse the heat waves...Time is the main thing when shooting the 1K so you try to get all shots off in the same conditions if possible.That is why a heavy barrel is so critical...And if you don;t believe it possible to get a deer at the distance mentioned then,so be it..I have shot woodchucks out to 825 with the 22-250 when conditions are right..And yes some of them were damn lucky shots..That is why it is sometimes better to have a spotter with you to see the bullet hits..With a spotting scope of course..
Old 12-25-2007, 04:39 PM

i've had real good luck with the barnes 53gr xlc with lung shots. they don't go more than 25 or 30 yards and then give up. there are other deer bullets out there for the 224 cal but this is the only one that i would use in a 1-14 twist. with regards to accuracy of barnes bullets the like to be loaded off the lands around .050". untill i found out about this i had dismal groups loading them close to the rifling e.g. 3-5" at 100 yrds. loading them off the lands .050 really tightens up the groups around an inch or less @100. unless your hunting really large boddied deer the 53/barnes will do the job. good hunting, treeman59
Old 12-25-2007, 11:02 PM

Thats one of the bullets I tried...and I got super excited about it because it was the only handload I could get to shoot accurately with a non-varmint bullet. I lost the one deer I shot...and it was well within 100 yards off a bipod...even if I completely pulled it (which I didn't) I wouldn't have been off by more than 3". Never found a drop...made me absolutely sick. I could hear it going through the leaves as I "waited" and know I hit. (This was lung shot like yours.) I may work up the courage to try one more time...but it will be awhile, and by then I'll likely have a caliber much better suited for the job.

Quick Reply: Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.