Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Deer with my 22-250 ?????????? >

Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

Old 12-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

I worked up a load to use in my 22-250 for hogs and last spring took four hogs from 160# to 320#, all were shot through the lungs and none went more than 20 feet (Pictures in the Hogs and exotics thread). I used Barnes 53gr solid copper TripleShock bullet pushed along by 35gr of Hodgens Varget. I wouldn't be afraid to use this load for deer in any state where the 22-250 was legal. The TripleShock got great penetration and raised holy he** with the insides of all the hogs that I shot.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:03 PM

Well,no matter what you all say,I have kilt 2 deer this year with the 22-250
all were dead with in a minute or two...One was shot at 450 yards in the neck.
She went down like a ton of bricks.The other 2 bucks were any where from
170 to 325 yards..Same thing..So I guess I answered my own question..
The 22-250 WILL do the job and do it well...My bullet was the 55 grain Hornady
V-MAX.......No meat wasted either...
Old 12-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: johnny2

Well,no matter what you all say,I have kilt 2 deer this year with the 22-250
all were dead with in a minute or two...One was shot at 450 yards in the neck.
She went down like a ton of bricks.The other 2 bucks were any where from
170 to 325 yards..Same thing..So I guess I answered my own question..
The 22-250 WILL do the job and do it well...My bullet was the 55 grain Hornady
V-MAX.......No meat wasted either...
Thats pretty stupid to use a V-MAX on deer, but oh well, you will learn the hard/arrogant way.
Old 12-16-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

You shoot any deer in the neck with a .22 cal 55grain bullet and it will either drop it (if it hts the spine) or wound it probably mortally without youeven knowing because it would leave a measly blood trail at best.

In my opinion, neck shots are NEVER OK (or head shots) - with any caliber - Pests or not.

If you are serious about hunting, and have any respect for the sport, why push the limilts of the law with a marginal caliber or bullet ?

FH

Old 12-16-2007, 11:04 PM

Oh, c'mon...I love shooting squirrels in the head with grandpas old 10/22. And he certainly would have skinned me if he had ever thought I had missed 'tween the shiny eyes' on purpose!

Seriously though we've given him our best advice and he's decided to ignore it. That's his own choice. I'll still take the middle ground and say its all of game of "ifs" and there has to be a point where you decide you don't want "ifs" and go buy a 45-70[8D]
Old 12-17-2007, 05:12 AM

Funny you should mention the 45-70..I have one in a sharps model..
Pedersoli in fact. Also have a 50-70 Navy arms..But I aint gonna
take the sharps hunting..The sights are too expensive...
And I wish you would stop kicking me around about,deer hunting
with the 22-250..It works for me..Im sorry if your not capable
enough to use this cal. Maybe you shouldnt be hunting either..
Old 12-17-2007, 07:16 AM

I think at last count my son and I have killed eight deer so far this year with my 22-250. All dropped in their tracks and are a joy to clean with no mangled insides to deal with. I have tried several bullets but keep going back to the 55 grain vmax. Aim for the neck out to 300 yards, pull the trigger then go get the truck. There is a guy (a Dr. who runs the state crime lab) who is a member of club where I age my deer. He shot a doe with his 338/378 Weatherby earlier this year and it ran over 60 yards into the woods. (No fun after dark as thick as the briars are around here.) It was not a bad shot through the chest cavity. I never had one move out of there tracks with the 55 vmax. To each his own. Thankfully there are plenty of guns and calibers and bullets out there. Otherwise, what would we talk about over whiskey back at the camp, who got screwed worse in their divorce?
Merry Christmas and good shooting.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

Oh, c'mon...I love shooting squirrels in the head with grandpas old 10/22. And he certainly would have skinned me if he had ever thought I had missed 'tween the shiny eyes' on purpose!

Seriously though we've given him our best advice and he's decided to ignore it. That's his own choice. I'll still take the middle ground and say its all of game of "ifs" and there has to be a point where you decide you don't want "ifs" and go buy a 45-70[8D]
The horse is staring at the water....

Old 12-17-2007, 07:47 AM

Dude, I'm not kicking you around about anything. Do you even remember my first post? It was all about my own experiences trying what said you were gonna try to do. The difference is mine were vital placed shots and yours where neck placed shots. Before you get defensive, know who's bustin chops and who's actually trying to get people off your case (me).

You can attack my hunting skills all you want, for all I know your a grandma in Pittsburg who owns a "Vintage" clothes store.

That's not the point. You need to figure out who's on your side and who isn't before you start making enemies.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not on his side!

Thats just freakin stuipid to shoot a deer in the neck at 450 yards with a 22-250 or with any rifle!! Like Farm Hunter said, you will either drop or hit kill it eventually and not even know it.

How much holdover on that shot? Or do you even know what I'm asking?

If you HAVE to hunt with a 22-250 (no other rifles...) then GET CLOSER use use a well constructed bullet!!

You WILL learn one day, probably after you get your drivers license.

Quick Reply: Deer with my 22-250 ??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.