Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Neck Sizing with a Full Length Die >

Neck Sizing with a Full Length Die

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Neck Sizing with a Full Length Die

Old 11-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Neck Sizing with a Full Length Die

"What I do is remove the expander buttonstem, screw the sizing die into the press with a trimmed cartridge in the shellholder, and screw the die down until it contacts the case mouth. ThenI screw it in further a little at a time until I can see that the die is sizing down .277" or so ofthe neck for a .270, etc. This amount of neck sizing can be approximate. It is not too critical, as long as it is sufficient, and all are done the SAME. Then I lock the sizing die in that position, re-install theexpander stem, and size the rst of the cases."

It has worked for me for four decades+. When i get persnicketty and weigh bullets, weigh cases,cut the primer pockets, chamfer the flash holes, chamfer the case mouths and all that other stuff; my re-loads are as accurate as any match ammo out there.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Big Country, thank you for your kind response. There is no doubt that your measurement methods are more precise, and more repeatable, than mine. As a matter of fact, I have gotten to the point, regarding partial resizing, that I don't even use the "smoky match" method any more, I just look at the case neck after I take it out of the die, and if it looks like enough of it got sized to hold a bullet firmly, I use it that way. Yes, it is pretty crude! No doubt I'd do better with the measurement tools you use! BUT, then I'd have to learn HOW to use them, because right now, I don't know how!! I only have a micrometer caliper and a micrometer right now. I use the mic to measure bullet diameters, expander plug sizes, bore slug diameters, and neck diameters of loaded ammo. The caliper is used to measure case lengths and loaded ammo o/a lenghts. That's about all the measuring I do.

Hope your KY trip is safe and good. Also, enjoy the hunting season!
Old 11-21-2007, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

"The problem arises when a full length sizing die is raised in an attempt to neck size only. The portion of the die that normally contacts the shoulder of the case no longer does so. If the body of the case is contacted and that portion of the case is reduced in diameter the squeezing of the case actually extends the length of the normal head space measurement. This is what creates the situation where the case will no longer allow the bolt to be closed and the case chambered."

Yes, Big Bob, I can see where that could happen, particularly in situationswhere a person's rifle chamber is big enough to allow a case to expand excessively, and upon sizing the "extra brass" has to have someplace to go when the case is squeezed back down. I stand corrected! Such an occurrance would certainly explain a lot of apparently strange happenings.....

I'm awfully old, but I hope I never get too old to learn something new!
Old 11-21-2007, 09:03 AM
DM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

ORIGINAL: DM

What you need to do is buy some tools to measure your neck to actually see what is happening. The idea of using carbon from a match or markers is just asking for problems.
It is??? That's news to me, as i've been using a marker since the 60's without problems. I have no idea, how many folks i've taught to reload over the years, and that'show i also taught them to do it. I never had one come back with a problem of any kind from doing so...

If you can't "see what's happening" using a marker, then you need to have someone show you how touse that methodproperly too...

My way works. Bottom line. My way works within .002" every time.I will guarantee you i can load ammo with the necks within .002" everytime.In fact, I have proven to several old timers that used this fool way that they can't, getting all that crap inside thier FL dies. People with much more experience than you. I know, you could never learn anything on these pages. Your just too good.
I should have known you'd go off like a bomb, you just can't seem take anyone not agreeing with you 100%, and that's sad...

You seem to like to buy a new gadget for everything you do, and then proclaim the way everyone else does things will not work, or is "asking for trouble"... I never said your gadget didn't work, and i surely didn't personally attack you, like you seem to enjoy doing to me... Anyone reading this post can see that plain as day...

But, i have been loading long enough (since the 60's) to know that, the way it's been done since, well since loading started "also works", and it works well... I shot BR for several years, and did very good. The "tried and true" method worked just fine then too...

I'm sure it's not just eld that has your temper tantrums figured out...

DM
Old 11-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, i have backed the die off and neck sized that way for over four decades. For over 15 years i have used the Hornady spray lube and am particular about the inside of the necks.Never have had a case that refused to chamber after resizing. Of course, i have only re-loaded about 150,000-200,000 rounds after resizing this way.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:14 AM

Falcon,
Is that all. heck, I've loaded more pistol ammo than that. (Joke) Just goes to show that all of us can always learn something.
Old 11-24-2007, 06:51 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: falcon

Well, i have backed the die off and neck sized that way for over four decades. For over 15 years i have used the Hornady spray lube and am particular about the inside of the necks.Never have had a case that refused to chamber after resizing. Of course, i have only re-loaded about 150,000-200,000 rounds after resizing this way.
Ok, let me get this right. You have fired 100 rounds a week, (of bottleneck rifle of course, thats what were talking about) for 40 years without taking a break. No slow years? Maybe you had children and didn't get to shoot your usual 400 rounds that month?

I agree, you guys have shot alot. I have learned tons off of Bigbob. He has helped me countless number of times.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DM

You seem to like to buy a new gadget for everything you do,
"Seem to"????? "Seem to"???? oh my gosh......DM if you only knew the half of it......Bigcountry's gotta buy, tinker and have 10 of everything, theres no "Seem to" about it. But that being said, hes a great guy who is welcomed at my house anytime. Ive learned alot from him and like alot of other guys on here the Big Boy knows his stuff.......next time he comes over Ill give him some shock therapy or something and work on his "abrasive personality" for ya!!
Old 11-24-2007, 09:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigBob .30-06

eld,

A partially resized case that won't chamber is not a rare situation. I've experienced it and from the posting on other web sites, quite a few others have as well.

The problem arises when a full length sizing die is raised in an attempt to neck size only. The portion of the die that normally contacts the shoulder of the case no longer does so. If the body of the case is contacted and that portion of the case is reduced in diameter the squeezing of the case actually extends the length of the normal head space measurement. This is what creates the situation where the case will no longer allow the bolt to be closed and the case chambered.

I've been a very active hand loader for fifty-five years with rifle, pistols, revolvers and shotguns. I have also taught many other to reload. A good friend of mine, who had approximately forty years experience.. Until his death about a month ago, we were always on the phone with one another seeking answers to questions that had arose. So I am still learning. The fact that I have close to sixty books that deal with firearms and hand loading is a constant help. The fact that we can come on a site, ask questions and try to help others who have problems in my opinion is the best reason for the INTERNET existing. I really don't think arguing or insults help anyone.

I hope all of you and yours have a joyous holiday season.
I may be wrong, but it is my opinion that the expander ball could be doing this when you pull it back through the neck. I use the Sinclair sizing mandrel to eliminate the shoulder problem. I also use sizing wax inside of a cleaned(tumbled) neck. Tom.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

"Ok, let me get this right. You have fired 100 rounds a week, (of bottleneck rifle of course, thats what were talking about) for 40 years without taking a break."

Yep, i firean average ofabout 8,000-10,000 rounds of center fire ammo per year,About halfof it isre-loads. There have been some years when i fired less than 1,000 rounds when i was working overseas and others when i fired30,000 rounds. Thegunsmithloves it when it is time to re-barrel.

Quick Reply: Neck Sizing with a Full Length Die

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.