Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 serious help please!!! >

serious help please!!!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

serious help please!!!

Old 10-19-2007, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: serious help please!!!

The Lee Anniversary kit has pretty much everything needed to get started besides the dies. I used the old Lee Loader when I got started and it was a great way to get my feet wet before jumping head first into reloading. You can pick one of those up for about $15 new, or even cheaper used. Then you just need a mallet and hard surface to work on. You can always go to the Lee website and look to see what they offer. Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment
Old 10-20-2007, 03:55 AM
bigcountry

I am pretty much anti-Lee as you can get and do what I can to steer people away from them, and hve personally recieved PM's on several ocassions where the new reloader thanked me for steering them away when they got a nice rockchucker press or simular.

But for your case of cheap, it might work. Just don't expect the straightest ammo or precision ammo with the lee.

I know some on here, who I trust, says the lee cast is decent. But I would definately stay away from thier pacer die sets.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:57 AM
Fork Horn

For a fairly complete list of what you need look at the top of the Relaoding forum for the topic
New to reloading? READ THIS FIRST!
It is a good list to start with. You should be able to drive down to Cabela's in Hazelwood,MO and pick up every thing at once. That way you can also see and feel the different kits before you buy. Look for carbide dies, just my personal pref.

Good luck,
mello
Old 10-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

thanks mello i have read that...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I recommend you stay away from Lee. Their presses are made heavy enough to do the job OK but their accessories have a lot to be desired. The Lee's Safety scale works pretty good and seems to be accurate but only goes up to100 grs so using it to also weigh bullets and such is out unless your shooting some small bullets. The Lee's Perfect Powder Measurer is a joke and made very flimsy, I weigh every load anyhow but with the Lee's Perfect Powder Measure you have no choice. I have all these so I am speaking from experience. Buy an RCBS kit and you won't be upgrading your Lee stuffin just a few months and wondering what your going to do with it. Buy RCBS dies too, they are definitely worth the money and not even expensive anyhow. With the old saying you get what you pay for truly holds true with reloading equipment. You can definitely get by using Lee reloading equipment but you will enjoy it more with good equipment.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I am pretty much anti-Lee as you can get and do what I can to steer people away from them, and hve personally recieved PM's on several ocassions where the new reloader thanked me for steering them away when they got a nice rockchucker press or simular.

But for your case of cheap, it might work. Just don't expect the straightest ammo or precision ammo with the lee.

I know some on here, who I trust, says the lee cast is decent. But I would definately stay away from thier pacer die sets.
+1 Tom.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 AM

Whut's a Lee...??

Never heard of 'em.

Grins...................
Old 10-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: duckdog132

first off just let me say i am as beginer as they come. so bare with please and understand i have no idea what some of these terms i have been reading are.. i read the post above stating what all i needed but i have a couple more questions. first, am i really saving anything reloading 308,243 or 30-06 rounds. and how many rounds before it pays for it self (aprox.. say with 308 which is what im most interested in.)i love shooting my 308 but its getting kind of pricey and if i can dampen the price a little over time it would be great pluss i think it would be neat to taylor my own rounds. second question: is their a good kit out there that has everything i need to get started or am i needing to mix and match to get what you would call a decent setup. third i am wanting to save as much money as possible with out buying "junk"(if you know what i mean) tell me please where i need to go and what brand etc.i need to go with, cheap; again please dont mistaken cheap for junk.
i know responding to this might be a little hard and time consuming for you;but if you can answer any or all of these questions, you would really be helping me out because right now im shooting in the dark and i cant stand just throwing money out trying different things if people already know what i truely need(i know.. "money pincher" is right. college is killing me..lol).
again any info would be wonderfull greatly appreciated.
thanks alot
Jeff S.
The savings explanation is easy! Whenever you throw away a brass cartridge case from a centerfire rifle, you are DISCARDING ABOUT 75% of the cost of that round of ammo. If you only shoot a box or less (20 rounds) of ammo per year, it probably doesn't matter. But, if you are a shooter, a low-cost reloading outfit will save you money that is better spent on rifles, scopes, powder,primersand bullets.

In addition, you may discover that the challenge of making accurate, powerful ammo is itself a fun, rewarding pastime as well as just shooting! Like you, I started out reloading (1954) for the purpose of being able to shoot my cheapie M721 Rem. .30/'06 more. It wasn't long that I discovered that making GOOD ammo is challenging and rewarding. Many thousands of rounds of a great many different calibers have gone downrange since, and the amount of money I have spent thus far on reloading supplies and equipment would probably buy a boxcar load of factory ammo! (Well, NOT at today's prices!!) But if faced with the same proposition today, I would do it all over again exactly the same way!!
Old 10-22-2007, 04:18 PM

You can not have enough manuals , you will see not every bullet and or primer , powder combo is in just one manual , but you need at least one to start out with. The choice of reloader is up to your budget , as long as your budget gets all that is required. Yes they all will make ammo and some will make better ammo then others.
I'm not sure when carbide dies came out (pistol) ,but I jumped on that band wagon as soon as they came out , I've tried the carbide expander balls and have broken a couple of them and quit using them . I have a Lee 1000 and it has served me well through out the years ,but I use RCBS dies for every thing and most are over twenty years old( more like 25 ) I use a single stage Pacific 007 only because I like the angle of the main body , makes it fast to put a case in the shell holder( my first was a RCBS rock chucker and its about the same as the 007 ,but the frame is in the way to me )I also have a RCBS Green Machine in 44 mag , how many remember that progressive reloader ?
As said above ,you can see where this is leading , you will never stop acquiring equipment if you keep reloading, Buy what you can afford and have fun and be careful.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to laugh about all the people who preach stay away from Lee, how many have actually used Lee products. While I admit they are not the highest quality, there is certainly nothing that would prevent you from loading quality ammo. If just starting out and on a budget then I highly recommend Lee to learn on, then when you have more of a budget to work with you can upgrade. The only exception I have is the Lee safety scale, don't waste your time, spend another $ 30 and get a Lyman scale.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.