Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
reloading problem, please help >

reloading problem, please help

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

reloading problem, please help

Old 01-13-2003, 02:23 PM
Spike

Default reloading problem, please help

I am currently reloading .270 winchester, useing H-4831, nosler ballistic tip bullets. Let me list in order my way of reloading.

1. lube up case and neck of brass
2. set brass up for resizing and knock out the old primer
3. let brass soak in water to remove lube.
4. trim cases to desired size.
5. insert primer
6. load powder and seat bullet.

My problem is after seating the bullet some of the cases are being damaged. This is always occuring at the base of the neck. I also am seeing some indensions on the neck itself. The base of the neck is like it is being smashed down. Try to load up in the rifle and I can't shut the bolt.

Any suggestions will be grateful.
Old 01-13-2003, 02:56 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: reloading problem, please help

Well, it sounds like your not deburring the neck after trimming. This would cause you your trouble. Could also be your sizing die. Maybe the wrond expander ball and then when you seat the bullet it just forces the bullet.

Old 01-13-2003, 03:12 PM

I would have to agree with Bigcountry. Try beburring and champfering the case mouth and then inspect them again before seating the bullet. That should solve your problem.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Fork Horn

are you crimping the case mouth? i just started handloading about six months ago so i don't have the experience that most of the folks on this board have. but when i started loading the 308win i was doing a lot of experimenting with different techniques and one thing i noticed was when i adjusted the die to far down in order get a heavy roll crimp was that i would get some crushing around the base of the shoulder and around the base of the neck. i didn't need a heavy roll crimp but i was just experimenting with bullets and un-charged cases.

If you're not huntin' you're not livin'!!!!!!!!

Edited by - cam2 on 01/13/2003 16:46:31
Old 01-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Spike

Thanks for the quick replys. I did forget to mention that I am deburring the cases. This problem has just started with the last two batches that I have reloaded. As Cam2 said I am getting a cruching effect at the base of the neck. As far as I know the die depth has not changed. I have it locked in place now for about 7 years. Could the problem be from too much lube on the case when resizing and knocking out the primer? I have tried alot and a little but the problem still exists.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

you could have a build up of case lube in the sizer die that could cause damage to the cases but if you're not noticing the damage until after you seat the bullet then the accumulation of case lube in the sizer die is not the issue but if you are seeing some damage after you size then that is an issue. you might have some type of build up or obstruction in your seater die. you might want to take your dies apart and give them a good cleaning. after you let the cases soak in water to remove the lube are you wiping the cases off real good in order to make sure that they are dry and all of the lube is removed if not then over time you may have gotten some case lube build up in you seater die?

If you're not huntin' you're not livin'!!!!!!!!
Old 01-14-2003, 04:59 AM

If not lube dents it is the seating die turned down too far and it is trying to crimp your bullets. A quick check is to run a case with out a bullet in the seating die, there should be no resistance, if so back the die out and turn just the stem in to adjust seating depth.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:47 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-14-2003, 11:15 AM

if you are trimming after sizing the cases are too short and getting crushed by crimp die.trim cases first.

desert eagle 50 ae and 440 corbon shooter
Old 01-14-2003, 07:13 PM

I noticed that you were cleaning the cases with water. Is that with detergent to remove the lube? I usually use solvent and then tumble to freshen up the cases. It may be that the water wash isn't removing all the lube. Am I thinking right folks?

Quick Reply: reloading problem, please help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.