Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 First load for my .300 win mag range test today! >

First load for my .300 win mag range test today!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

First load for my .300 win mag range test today!

Old 09-10-2007, 03:47 PM
Fork Horn

Default First load for my .300 win mag range test today!

I'm stoked so I thought I would share with you guys! My very first load for my .300 win mag, 72 grainsof IMR 4831, Federal Gold Medal Match 215 large mgnm rifle primers and 150 grain Swift Scirrocco ll in nickle federal premium cases. Four shot group at 100 yds was 3/4", 3 of the shots were less than that touching. I had one other shot that was down a little lower, but I had drawn my dot too small and I knew when I pulled the trigger that I was holding a little low. The max for this load is 74 grains, ya'll think I should leave it alone or tweak it up with a chrono and go for more velocity? There were no pressure signs in fact, the recoil was less than my factory federal premiums loaded with 150 grain tbbc's. I'd rather be lucky than good Iguess, I'm very happy being as how I'm just getting back into reloading. One question for you guys that are way more experienced, I have some hornady brass, does the brass make any difference? Would it still shoot the same with same load?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: First load for my .300 win mag range test today!

Any time you change a compnent in aload, you stand a good risk of altering it's performance. Different case manufacturers may have different volumes. I would start over again, myself.
Congrats on finding a good combo for your gun. That's why we reload. I would definitely load up more of that which shot good for you to see if it repeats itself. If it does and does so rgularly, you've got a winner!
Velocity is nice,but I try not to sacrifice precise shooting for a small gain in speed. ............
Old 09-11-2007, 06:54 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Mountain Cur
I have some hornady brass, does the brass make any difference? Would it still shoot the same with same load?
PA's right. Totally different load. I bet I have tried with optimism, to change brass about 20 times in my life and rarely do I get same performance. Sometimes better, sometimes I was overpressure. But your pretty far from max load.

I say go up slowly and see what kinda performance you get. 4831sc seems to like to run a little hot. I push RL22 and 180gr bullets all the way up to 77gr with awesome performance at 3100fps. But RL22 likes hot I notice.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using 74 grs of 4831 in my 300 Win ,but I'm using the Barnes TSX bullet . No signs of pressure and very accurate . I got there a step at a time though . My only problem is the trigger is 5.9 and I hate to take the gun apart to change the trigger afraid it wont go back the same LOL.I have a new Timney triggerfor it .
Old 09-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take it to a good gun smith
Old 09-14-2007, 09:16 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: halcon

I'm using 74 grs of 4831 in my 300 Win ,but I'm using the Barnes TSX bullet . No signs of pressure and very accurate . I got there a step at a time though . My only problem is the trigger is 5.9 and I hate to take the gun apart to change the trigger afraid it wont go back the same LOL.I have a new Timney triggerfor it .
If its that sensitive, you probably want those bedding problems fixed. As you probably know, a rifle should be more stable than that. At least I would want it fixed. And on the bright side, if you take it apart and it goes back to together good and still shoots good, you have a whole lot more confidense in your gun.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stop right there. A sporter weight magnum rifle shooting 3/4 MOA is about as good as one can resonably expect and all you'll really need for big game. Sure, you MIGHT be able to further tweak the ld and squeeze out another 1/8 - 1/4MOA. But it sounds like you've hit the sweet spot for your rifle. As far as velocity goes, you're 2 grains shy of MAX in a magnum case. You might gain maybe 50-75fps with that extra 2gr of powder, but the deer on the business end of that load won't be able to tell the difference nor will it care bacause that .300WinMag will kill it just as dead at all practical ranges. Accuracy is more important that speed anyway. A heart/double lung/shoulder shot with an accurate .30-06 will drop an animal a lot faster than a gutshot from the fastest .30-378 Wby Mag scattergun every time.

I'd say stick with what you got. If you want to work up to max you could (it's your money and barrel), but at least you have a good load to fall back on.

Good Luck,

Mike
Old 09-14-2007, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I were you, I'd take it apart, get that heavy trigger tweaked or install the Timney, put it back together and continue on. One thing I would recommend, if you can.... find out the in. lbs. torque your action screws are at now and put them back to the same, or very close to it. If you don't have the torque wrench or driver, a decent 'smith should be able to check it for you, if you are really concerned about it....