Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 bolt hard to close.... >

bolt hard to close....

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

bolt hard to close....

Old 08-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Spike

Default RE: bolt hard to close....

Did you find anything out yet? I was having the same issue in my T3-Lite, which is now at the factory gunsmith (Beretta). They seem to be having difficulty determining what the problem is.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Test #3. Once you find that the bolt will close easily, prime the cases, add the powder charge, and seat the bullet. Test #3 has to be done at the range with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction-test the loads now, and see if th ammo will chamber freely. If it doesn't, smething you did whien seating the bullets is causing the problem. Look at the bullets on the rounds that caused problems-do you see any marks from the rifling?? Believe me, IF your bullets are touching the rifling, it will be obvious!! If so, the bullets are seated out too far, and need to be seated deeper.

Let us know what you find to be the cause!! Good luck!!
I do this with an unprimed case to make a dummy round for the max OAL for that bullet in my rifle. I then write on the case bullet make, weight, and OAL. I then always have an example to reference from.

mello
Old 08-26-2007, 09:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mello_collins

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

Test #3. Once you find that the bolt will close easily, prime the cases, add the powder charge, and seat the bullet. Test #3 has to be done at the range with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction-test the loads now, and see if th ammo will chamber freely. If it doesn't, smething you did whien seating the bullets is causing the problem. Look at the bullets on the rounds that caused problems-do you see any marks from the rifling?? Believe me, IF your bullets are touching the rifling, it will be obvious!! If so, the bullets are seated out too far, and need to be seated deeper.

Let us know what you find to be the cause!! Good luck!!
I do this with an unprimed case to make a dummy round for the max OAL for that bullet in my rifle. I then write on the case bullet make, weight, and OAL. I then always have an example to reference from.

mello
Mello....I think that is an excellent habit. I've been doing exactly the same thing for years. I keep the casings identified as to which bullet it holds for what gun. Sure speeds setting up seater die. I always check the finished round with calipers just to be sure............
Old 08-27-2007, 01:22 AM

If I am not mistaken, Stony Point makes a set of adapters for their case length gauge that measures head space. That should till you if your cases ar sized enough. Do you have any trouble with factory ammo?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:52 AM

they have told you all the possible right reasons. what i do to determine bullet oal is simple. i reload a shell than i use a sharpy or a marker to color the bullet. than i chamber it than take it right back out to see if it touches the rifeling. if it doesnt, then i go back and double ckeck my cases to see if they are sized to spec. i also trim my cases every time to make sure they are right because no to cases strecth the same. goo luck.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

"I do this with an unprimed case to make a dummy round for the max OAL for that bullet in my rifle. I then write on the case bullet make, weight, and OAL. I then always have an example to reference from."

This is a really good method to use.After getting the OAL, i mike the length and then seat the bullet .015-.040 off the lands for my Remington Model 700. My other .30-06 rifles like a little more. This sometimes results with a bullet sticking way out of the case but my Model 700 loves them.