Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

[Deleted]

Old 01-16-2002, 03:07 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 07:21 PM

Default RE: Question about reloading shotgun shells

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
i don't know much about reloading but would it be possible to just reload a shell w/ powder?

another question is could you fill a shell completely with powder except for ONE pellet or bb? i don't know why you would want to do it, just is it possible? thx tn
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

First part: Sure, just seat a wad over the powder and don't put any shot in. Crimp will be pretty wierd without shot under it. Probably safe to shoot but don't quote me on that. I don't know if this is how blanks are made or not.

Second part: I guess it's possible to put a 10 or 15 times overcharge of powder in a shell. Just don't count on having any shotgun or face left after the shot.

If you want a rifle then get a danged rifle.

At this point I don't think you should do any reloading of any kind.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:19 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-16-2002, 11:39 PM

Actually I don't think that one pellet would go any further than normal. It'd be rattling down the barrel without obdurating the bore. A .22rf would go farther by a long shot.

Sorry if my first post sounded so sarcastic. The questions were so off the wall that they kinda threw me. No offense intended.
Old 01-17-2002, 06:45 AM

Blanks are made by substituting several cardboard wads for the shot charge. Using a plastic wad generally doesn't work; a lot depends on the TYPE of powder being used. I tried using plastic wads to make blanks, but the majority of the powder came out of the barrel unburned....seems there wasn't enough pressure produced to ignite the powder, and the primer pushed everything out the bore. Currently, I make my own blanks for dog training, but know this....at close range these things are just as DEADLY as a round filled with shot and should not, under any circumstances, be fired at people!
Old 01-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-17-2002, 05:30 PM

There's an outfit that makes some shotgun shells that you need. I've seen them for sale at gunshows and saw their website one time but it doesn't look like I saved the address.

They have exotic ammo... one is a bird bomb. It's a standard 12ga shell that sends out a small charge that goes bang once it's a number of yards out there. &quot;Here, John, you like long shots, try one of these...&quot;

Another is supposed to be a flame thrower in a 12ga package. Good for evening shoots. &quot;John, I'll just stand next to you and back you up in case you miss a clay, don't mind me...&quot;
Old 01-17-2002, 06:38 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-23-2002, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

You can reload with only powder but have to punch a wad in after it. You can then fill it with anything you wish so long as it is lighter than the shot it reqires. You need to fill it with something so as to get a good crimp. Common flour is pretty impressive on new years and the 4th if shot at night. You just have to watch the pressure. Don't mess with it if you don't know what you are doing. The powder manufactures all have receipe charts that I would strongly recommend following for a few years. Remember that your face is only about 6 inches from the chamber.