Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.300 Rem SAUM

Old 04-01-2007, 08:35 AM
Spike

Default .300 Rem SAUM

Hey Im new here and also new to reloading. I just bought a 300 SAUM last year and ammo was so pricey I decided to start reloading. I have the Lyman handbook and It has been very helpful in learning. My problem is I have no clue as to what grain bullet to go with. I bought 150gr factory loads and couldn't get that great of a group with them (may be the gun, or scope) but in any case, I need some guidance as to what bullet to go with for this round. thanks in advance!

-Kevin
Old 04-04-2007, 04:19 AM
Spike

Default RE: .300 Rem SAUM

bump...anyone?
Old 04-04-2007, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have this cartridge, but you will have to start out just like anything else.

First get the bullet you WANT. What will you be hunting? Deer and antelope only require a 150 grain bullet, such as the Hornady SP, Sierra Pro Hunter, and the like. Elk will require something a little bigger in the 165-180 grain range of Nosler Partion, Barnes TSX, etc.

Now that you have the animal figured out that you want to hunt, and the bullet picked out, go to the book, and find the 2 or 3 powders with the highest velocities that you can readily attain. Get a pound of each, and only one type of primer (as is stated in the manual).

Lastly, its all "working up a load." Start with theminimums and work up to the max in 1/2 or 1 grain incriments. (I usually go in 1 grain incriments until real close to max with cartridges that have better than 50 grains powder).

Go through each powder, top to bottom, and pick the one that shoots the best. Load 20 more, wait a week or more, or different weather conditions, and shoot again, and make sure the load is consistent from time to time. If not, start over with something else.

This may not be the info you are looking for, but unforunately there is no other way to do this then putting down the legwork yourself.

Later,

Marcial
Old 04-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would try 165-grain Nosler Partition bullets. The Nosler Partition is a do-all bullet. They work on pronhorn antelope just as well as they work on bull elk.

good luck,

wk
Old 04-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

One thing I would add is, don’t bother resetting your scope until you have a load that works. As long as the rifle hits on target, should be OK. You may notice on how different loads will have different POI so just get that load first and then dial in that scope. Good Luck...
Old 04-05-2007, 06:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

A bullet such as the barnes tsx in the 150gr to 180gr range will perform well on all game from deer to elk and moose.If you choose a conventional bullet such as a core loct or power point,you would want to use at least 165gr for large game.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

A bullet such as the barnes tsx in the 150gr to 180gr range will perform well on all game from deer to elk and moose.If you choose a conventional bullet such as a core loct or power point,you would want to use at least 165gr for large game.
I am about to begin loading this round. The ammo that was used initially was the factory 165-grain PSPCL load.

For a beginning load, I have chosen 67 grains of RE22 and the Nosler 165-grain BT or Accubond -reason for RE22: I have some, and since it is a slow powder, it should not develop excessive pressures with 67 grains. According to the Speer data I got online, this load should produce around 2900 FPS MV. If it is reasonably accurate, that's fast enough for me......

This will be a Pennsylvania deer load, mostly........
Old 04-27-2007, 02:00 PM

I don't know if this is too late a reply but for what it's worth--- I have been loading and experimenting with my 300 SAUM LTR (20" bbl)topped with Badger picatinny rail,30mm tactical rings and a Nikon 2.5x10 x 44 tactical scopefor the last couple of years and have determined that his particular rifle likes the heavier bullets in particular the 190gr Hornady BT backed by IMR 4350and 9 1/2M Rem primer which delivers a chronographed vel of 2816 fps and sub .7 groups at 100 yards as my hunting load and exactly the same combination using 190gr SMK bullets as my match load (.63 at 100 yards).I experimented loading Varget and 150 and 165 gr bullets from Hornady,Nosler and Sierra(SMK) all worked well but in order to get match accuracy I had to back off to the 2600/2700 fps velocity range so in effect I was shooting a 308 Win which wasn't acceptable.I settled on the heavier selections of bullets and load combination only after many days at the range and a good journal to track progress and conditions of the day so to ask which is the best bullet or powder etc. -- you will determine that with trigger time and load experimentation every rifle has it's own niche the trick is to stick with it until that niche is found.