Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Barnes X vs TSX bullets >

Barnes X vs TSX bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Barnes X vs TSX bullets

Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Barnes X vs TSX bullets

I am currently looking to buy some ammunition for my .257 wby mag. I will be using the ammunition mostly for deer, but the occasional (very seldom) elk and caribou hunt. I have been intrigued with the Barnes series of bullets. I had no idea what forum to post this question in and reloading seemed like the best.
What is the differnce between the Barnes X bullet and the TSX bullet? I noticed the X bullet comes 15 grains heavier then the TSX for the .257 wby, but what preformance have people experienced overall on the different bullets and with .257 wby?
I appreciate the help and opinions.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:46 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Barnes X vs TSX bullets

The X coated bullet was ok, but it was one of those bullets that seemed to work or not work in a gun. Alot had to do with barrels of guns. Too tight tolerances on some barrels, shot bad, and aged guns too loose shot bad. But the TSX however seems to work well in most guns. I like them, just don't like the price.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

The original Barnes x bullets were not accurate in many rifles,and they tended to copper foul very badly.The tsx seems to be quite accurate in most rifles and copper fouling is virtually non existant in most rifles.On game,the barnes tsx and x perform very well in much lighter weights than most conventional bullets.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:33 AM

The difference is TSX bullets have grooves which reduce surface contact between bullet and bore. This reduces friction, copper fouling, and chamber pressure.
The TSX ogive changed also in an attempt for more accuracy.