HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Do Turrett Presses help speed up loading. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/185242-do-turrett-presses-help-speed-up-loading.html)

huntdanielboone 03-19-2007 07:51 PM

Do Turrett Presses help speed up loading.

I have been kicking the idea around about buying a good turrett press. What are the best ones for the money, and what do they help you with?:eek:

700bdl870exp 03-19-2007 08:23 PM

RE: Do Turrett Presses help speed up loading.

Id go with the lee press. hard to beat for the money. use it pry a little more than my single stage rcbs. does seem to speed up loading a little but im not to gung ho on the speed thing. i take my sweet time reloading with both presses.

TUK101 03-19-2007 08:46 PM

Not having to change dies cant hurt any, and being able to seat all your dies into different turrets would be nice too. The turret presses are going to help a bit with speed, but the real speed is in the progressive presses.

Briman 03-19-2007 09:49 PM

Absolutely, with the lee press at least.

My first trial with the the New lee turret press was pretty amazing. I loaded up 150 rounds of 30-06 with cast bullets in less time than it takes me to load up 50 rounds on a single stage. I only wish there was a way to convert it to a 3 hole turret for loading jacketed bullet rifle loads.
First pull- decap/resize. Prime on the downstroke.
second pull- flair case neck with Lyman M die
third pull- stop at top of stroke, flip powder measure arm up, tap, tap, flip down, tap, tap to charge powder. (I have mine set up with a Lee perfect powder measure, an Audo disc measure does the charging automatically at the top of the upstroke for smaller pistol charges)
fourth pull- seat bullet.

My only problems with the press are:
-The indexing gets out of alignment easily if you change turrets, or manually turn the turret to a different position. Its a real pain the arse to get the indexing straightened out again until you figure out how to do it.
-A bit more up and down play in the turret than I'd like, though it probably doesn't make any difference if you set your dies up correctly.
-The rifle priming arm on mine kept hanging up on me until I polished the flat sides of it with some crocus cloth.
-Dies are very close together- RCBS type locking rings are useless unless you set up each die seperately on its own and tighten the locking screw on each before reinstalling them- having the locking screw out of the locking ring will catch on its neighbor's locking ring. If there is a place that Lee locking rings really shine is on the Lee turrets- set them and forget them. The rubber ring on the rings gives the dies a little play to compesate for the play in the turret.

I'm not sure that a RCBS, Redding, Lyman or other turrets will speed up loading much. You will either still need to load shells by batch, or will need to develop giant popeye forearms to manually index the turret several times for each shell loaded.

trailer 03-20-2007 04:33 AM

At this time it’s a little premature to give my opinion on my new Redding T-7 turret press but I purchased this press for convenience more then speed. I like the idea on having the dies already set with just a turn of the turret. I will however say that I find this press to be very well made and solid. The turret turns into place with ease and somewhat snaps into place. Just my 2¢ for now...:eek:

shewe 03-20-2007 11:29 AM

i've always used lee presses. just bought the lee classic and it's a rugged press. the turret presses really speed up loading 150-200 per hour if you want for the 9mm or 38 sp. for my 44mag i'm so close to max load that i take my time and weigh each charge for safety sake i do the same with my 3006 loads. a real advantage is having several turrets so you only set up dies once.:)

700bdl870exp 03-20-2007 08:28 PM

yup all above is good info. i dont use the priming arm and i took out the indexing. i reload more like a single stagei guess. i just do a bunch on one step then the next and the next till they are done. i use a lee hand primer i like it alot better. i have quite a few turrets with my dies all set up for some of my more common loads like that of the 223 22-250 243 3006 and 308. those are probably the ones i load most often so i just slap the turret in and go to town.

the Razorhead 03-21-2007 05:53 PM

I have a Lyman turret press and I love it.
Well, not really.. but I do like it a lot.
Biggest drawback I have, is it has just enough slop in the turret to affect crimping.
So I bought an old Lee O-frame press and a seperate crimp die.

saponi 03-24-2007 01:26 PM

Can't go wrong with the Redding t-7 press. It is well made and will last a lifetime. Good luck Al.

huntdanielboone 03-29-2007 06:49 PM

Hey guys, I got my new Lee Classic 4-hole turrett press today. I got everything set up fine except the priming tool. I guess I need to buy a Lee Safety Prime to attach to the press. I have a Lee Primer that attaches to the top of the press, but it won't work unless you remove the shell holder and install the primer ram each time. Ain't doing that. Any suggestions? You guys got me this far so don't quit now.