Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Reloading Belted Magnums >

Reloading Belted Magnums

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Belted Magnums

Old 03-07-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Reloading Belted Magnums

I going to start reloading for my 7mm magnum and was wondering how many times you guys are getting out of your belted cases and the best methods to go about it. I'm not going to be loading them hot, just moderate loads. Are you full length or neck sizing them? Which would be best for me? I'll be hunting whitetail with the gun which is a bolt-action model 70 winchester. I have never reloaded a belted case before, just my .308 win which I full length resize for a lever action rifle. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Reloading Belted Magnums

I like to paritial FL or usea lee collet. That way, brass is being centered by the shoulder and not the belt.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: shopkins

I going to start reloading for my 7mm magnum and was wondering how many times you guys are getting out of your belted cases and the best methods to go about it. I'm not going to be loading them hot, just moderate loads. Are you full length or neck sizing them? Which would be best for me? I'll be hunting whitetail with the gun which is a bolt-action model 70 winchester. I have never reloaded a belted case before, just my .308 win which I full length resize for a lever action rifle. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Sean
For most of my reloads, I size them only that amount required for the neck to properly grip the new bullet-(here I'm talking about cases that were alreadyfired in your rifle, and will go back into the chamber w/o any sizing at all). It only requires sizing about one bullet diameter from the mouth,(.28" to .30" of the neck).

What you must avoid doingis shoving the shoulder back when sizing, because if you do, it will move forward again when fired. And this amount of working the brass will cause early head separations, just like with a rimmed case such as the .303 British....
Old 03-08-2007, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I neck size only using the Lee collet neck die. I love it because it makes very straight ammo, works the brass less and requires no lube.If thecases grow enough that chambering becomes a problem I use a Redding body die to bump the shoulder back slightly. Don't really know how may reloadings I could get with this method. I usually toss my brass and buy new before they fail.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks for the help guys, I think I'll pick up a set of Lee Deluxe dies with the collet neck sizing die, full-length sizing die, and bullet seating die.
Old 03-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I neck size them only with the RCBS neck sizer. When they start to get tight, then I'll full length size them. As for the case life issue, I was still reloading Browning and Imperial cases after 15 years. I anneal my brass when necks start cracking, and they last for a long time. My loads are at the top end of the spectrum, and the accuracy of a neck sized case over a full length sized case is phenominal. Loading a belted case is no different than a non belted case, other than the fact thatyou are adding a lot more powder, and usually a heavier bullet than the magnum's standard counterpart.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:27 PM

If I am on a high dollar hunt, or hunting something that could try to eat me; I would want to go afield with belted magnum loads based on new or once fired brass.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

yep I neck size for practice reloads, I use mild loads and use cases untilthey fail sight inspection. I use new brassforhunting.