HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Bullet, help me decide (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/182890-bullet-help-me-decide.html)

ShatoDavis 03-02-2007 09:59 AM

Bullet, help me decide

I'm reinventing the wheel here. Winter just keeps going on and I'm bored. I'm reworking the load for my 6.5-284. Why, you may ask. Because I'M BORED!

Intended quarry= mule deer, whitetail,antelope, Mountain Goat, possibly Dall sheep.

My current load is a 140 gr. Sierra Gameking pushed at about 2800 fps by R22. This load flat out shoots. I averaged .6 inches for 5, 5 shot groups.

I'm contemplating changing components. I'm thinking either 130 gr. Barnes TSX or 130 gr. Nosler Accubonds. What do you guys think? I'm thinking that lowering my bullet weight will gain me some velocity. But its a lower SD bullet so I'm thinking of going to a bonded bullet or the TSX to ensure terminal performance. What do you think? 130 gr. TSX at about 2900-3000 FPS sufficient to anchor a big Mountain Goat?

skeeter 7MM 03-02-2007 01:29 PM

RE: Bullet, help me decide

Bothgood choices and should meet your criteria. I have never hunted goat but a 140gr TSX from my 7 rem mag has anchored moose and elk with a single shot so personally wouldn't give the tsx a second thought. I have also used a AB for both animals in that rifle though it was a 160gr version, was very satisfied with its work.

The TSX didn't floor me when used on 2 mule deer in behind the shoulder shots, as suchI like the BT/AB better personally for deer sized game. Imay just loading up the 160AB this year for everything, instead of switching between the 140TSX for larger and 150 NBT for deer sized. we'll see like you I am sick of winter and seem to be looking for projects in my mind.

Best of Luck

HEAD0001 03-02-2007 03:44 PM

I am just getting ready to start loading for a 6.5 X 284. I have done alot of reading. I am going with the 120 gr. Nosler BT. I am not recommending that you shoot this bullet-my main use is going to be for groundhogs.

I posted to let you know about powder's. I am going to start with N-165. Everything I have read about this powder shows that N-165 can generate up to 200 more fps-over all other choices. Also my studies have turned up that N-165 is turning out some very accurate loads, at the higher velocities. I have been finding loads up to 3400 fps(according to the author)with the 120 NBT. Tom.

huntdanielboone 03-02-2007 08:24 PM

I have a 6.5 x 284 Mod. 70 with a Douglas XX barrel made by David Chrisman in Delhi, La. It shoots 3 shot groups of .464" with 125 Gr. Nosler Patritions. This is a very tough bullet. I have had several guns that would not shoot Partition bullets very good, that is for accuracy, however they were always good on game. This gun just happens to shoot them very well. You might give them a try.

48thguns 03-03-2007 08:26 PM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

I'm reinventing the wheel here. Winter just keeps going on and I'm bored. I'm reworking the load for my 6.5-284. Why, you may ask. Because I'M BORED!

Intended quarry= mule deer, whitetail,antelope, Mountain Goat, possibly Dall sheep.

My current load is a 140 gr. Sierra Gameking pushed at about 2800 fps by R22. This load flat out shoots. I averaged .6 inches for 5, 5 shot groups.

I'm contemplating changing components. I'm thinking either 130 gr. Barnes TSX or 130 gr. Nosler Accubonds. What do you guys think? I'm thinking that lowering my bullet weight will gain me some velocity. But its a lower SD bullet so I'm thinking of going to a bonded bullet or the TSX to ensure terminal performance. What do you think? 130 gr. TSX at about 2900-3000 FPS sufficient to anchor a big Mountain Goat?
Hello SD. If you change that load because you are bored......you need a shrink. You will never do better than that nor will you have a better bullet for the clean kill. Stay bored. :DRegards, Rick.

hunter5325 03-06-2007 08:46 AM

It would be interesting to see what you could do with the Accubond. It is a tougher bullet than the GK for those "not so perfect" shots, and I have found the Accubonds to be very very accurate in my rifles. Brett

Roskoe 03-06-2007 07:06 PM

Shato - if you like to shoot the game listed in the lungs, it would be very difficult to improve on the 140 Sierra. It has about the same balance of penetration and expansion as the 150 gr. .270 and the 160 gr. 7MM. All three are among the best all around medium game bullets out there.

Going to a TSX will be an improvement if you shoot shoulders. Same thing with the Partition. The Accubond is a pretty good all around bullet - I have used the 140 gr. .270 will good results. But it has the classic turnip shaped wound channel that is Nosler - and the size of the wound channel will be smaller in the middle of the animal than the Sierra. I will work, but maybe not quite as well the Sierra on broadside rib shots.

And Swift now makes a Scirocco in the 6.5MM (130 grain, I think) that should be a great bullet. The 130 gr. .270 Scirocco is the most lethal .270 bullet I have ever used in 34 years of hunting with this caliber. Might be worth a try . . . .

will79 03-08-2007 05:53 PM

I recently used a 6.5x55 to take my first elk. I was using 140 Gameking's over 48gr RE22. This would group 3 into 5/8" at 100yds in my CZ. This is my deer load. I knew I needed a tougher bullet for elk so I bought a box of 130gr TSX and 140gr A-Frame's. With several powder and weight combos I couldn't get the TSX to shoot less than 1 1/4". I got the A-Frames into 3/4" using 47.2gr RE22. For target loads, the Hornady A-Max will group into 1/2" when loaded with 48gr RE22. If you want a target load, you might give them a try.

eldeguello 03-10-2007 07:05 AM

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis

I used to use a Sierra 140 for mule deer at a MV of 2800 FPS, and it was a great killer! But a premium 130-grainer at 3000 should do as well or better for the game you have listed. I think that 130-grain Accubond would be great!