Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Confused about crimping bullets >

Confused about crimping bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Confused about crimping bullets

Old 01-28-2007, 03:02 PM

Default RE: Confused about crimping bullets

Well, just got done reloading my very first batch of bullets for my .300 WSM. Now I just got to get to the range. Hope they work!

Recipes:

1. Alliant Reloder 19 powder (64.3 grains) with CCI BR LR primers, pre-fired Winchester case and Nosler accubonds (180 grain)

2. Alliant Reloder 19 powder (64.3 grains) with CCI BR LR primers, pre-fired Winchester case and Barnes XXX Boattails (180 grain)

Screwed up the first 6 shells, forgot to size the necks before I primed them. Couldnt size the necks after that since the die also has a de-primer tool in it; didn't want to take the chance of the primer igniting in the die/press as I was trying to de-prime it.

It's amazing how much of the bullet is in the shell, the charge isn't compressed but it's close to it. I think that I am going to get the Lee crimping die, I have doubts about the bullet holding it's position in the neck of the case. Especially when the 300 WSM starts recoiling and eating my shoulder with each pull of the trigger.I will be carefully checking the length of the reloaded bullets in the magazive after each round goes down range. This will definitely tell me if the crimp is indeed needed.

And thanks to all of you for your replies about crimping; I definitely appreciate your insight(s).

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 01-28-2007, 03:23 PM

Also a couple of comments about the Lee anniversary components; if you all would like to know;

The "Perfect Powder measurer" is not really that perfect; it's close though. I weighed each charge on the Lee Safety Powder scale and found that I had to add or remove several grains 2 out of three times, to get to the desired weight. The measuring scale on the Perfect Powder Measurer is not accurate either, hence the need to weigh each powder charge with the scale. Hope the scale is accurate itself....

I had to grind away the openings on the Lee priming tool itself (where it holds the auto prime shell holder) so it would accept the 300 WSM case; the shell holder would fit the tool and accept the case, but the tool was not wide enough itself to accept the case.

The little powder funnel that cane with the kit spilled powder all over when attempting to use it with the 300 WSM shell, I ended up making a paper funnel to "funnel" the powder from the plastic funnel.

The little chamfer bit that is supposed to clean up the inside and tyhe outside of the shell after trimming and sizing works OK on the inside of the shell, but doesn't have the depth to reach the outside shell edges (due to the way that the 300 WSM shell is designed).

Every other component works satisfactorily; certainly a little yankee intervention and American ingenuity made the kit work.

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 01-28-2007, 03:50 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: willtill

Screwed up the first 6 shells, forgot to size the necks before I primed them. Couldnt size the necks after that since the die also has a de-primer tool in it; didn't want to take the chance of the primer igniting in the die/press as I was trying to de-prime it.

It's amazing how much of the bullet is in the shell, the charge isn't compressed but it's close to it. I think that I am going to get the Lee crimping die, I have doubts about the bullet holding it's position in the neck of the case.
Well, alot of veryexperienced reloaders on here, don't crimp and have noissues. But I understand, when I started reloading I felt the urge too crimp also.

You can size those necks with most reloadingdies even with primers in. Just move the deprimer up. In fact, I never use the deprimer in the FLdies. I raise it up to the top so I expand mynecks right when they leave the portion ofthe die that resizes the neck. That way, I get muchstraighter ammo. I use a universal deprime to deprime.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:52 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: willtill

I had to grind away the openings on the Lee priming tool itself (where it holds the auto prime shell holder) so it would accept the 300 WSM case; the shell holder would fit the tool and accept the case, but the tool was not wide enough itself to accept the case.

The little powder funnel that cane with the kit spilled powder all over when attempting to use it with the 300 WSM shell, I ended up making a paper funnel to "funnel" the powder from the plastic funnel.

The little chamfer bit that is supposed to clean up the inside and tyhe outside of the shell after trimming and sizing works OK on the inside of the shell, but doesn't have the depth to reach the outside shell edges (due to the way that the 300 WSM shell is designed).

Every other component works satisfactorily; certainly a little yankee intervention and American ingenuity made the kit work.

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
For rifle I wiegh each charge. So I put the powder in my scale pan first. Then use the funnel to put in the brass. Are you trying to just stick the shell up in it?

Old 01-28-2007, 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Well, alot of veryexperienced reloaders on here, don't crimp and have noissues. But I understand, when I started reloading I felt the urge too crimp also.

You can size those necks with most reloadingdies even with primers in. Just move the deprimer up. In fact, I never use the deprimer in the FLdies. I raise it up to the top so I expand mynecks right when they leave the portion ofthe die that resizes the neck. That way, I get muchstraighter ammo. I use a universal deprime to deprime.

My gosh, your right! I forgot that the deprimer can be moved up. Let me dig those shells outta the trash!

Kindest regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 01-28-2007, 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry
For rifle I wiegh each charge. So I put the powder in my scale pan first. Then use the funnel to put in the brass. Are you trying to just stick the shell up in it?
I don't understand what you're asking me. Stick the shell up in it? You mean weigh the entire assembled cartridge?

I did exactly what you do when you measure your powder.

Kindest Regards,

-Will in Maryland
Old 01-28-2007, 04:14 PM
bigcountry

Sorry, guess I am confused how powder is going everywhere.

Old 01-28-2007, 06:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I use the Lee crimp dies on almost everything. IMO I get more uniform Chronograph reading when I use a slight crimp. Probably because I never use use a inside or outside neck trimmer.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "Perfect Powder measurer" is not really that perfect; it's close though. I weighed each charge on the Lee Safety Powder scale and found that I had to add or remove several grains 2 out of three times, to get to the desired weight. The measuring scale on the Perfect Powder Measurer is not accurate either, hence the need to weigh each powder charge with the scale. Hope the scale is accurate itself....
You probably have it backwards- your scale is not as accurate as your powder measure. Is no way that a cheap piece of tin mounted on an axle with tin counterweights is going to be as accurate as a drum that is constantly filled to the same volume of powder, unless you are doing something wrong with your measure. I've checked the LPPM against my Ohaus scale and its dead on the nuts on, charge after charge with IMR 4064 and IMR4895. You still need a scale to set the Lee measure regardless of its graduations.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 AM
bigcountry

I have to disagree briman. I have tried the same, and I have a proof set of wieghts. With powders like H110, you can get very consistent dips, but for IMR4350, no way. Even unique, I get variances or any flake powder.

Quick Reply: Confused about crimping bullets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.