HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Accubond penetration? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/176274-accubond-penetration.html)

hunter5325 01-20-2007 09:27 AM

Accubond penetration?

I've loaded the 139gr Hornady Interbond for years out of my 7 mag. At about 3200fps I got exit holes on mule deer at ranges from 50yds to 320yds. This combo only exited 1 bull elk, the rest usually placed the mushroomed bullet under the hide on the off side. This combo was perfect for deer and elk both. Now for the down side - the best it will group is 1 3/4" @ 100yds. With the 140gr Nosler Accubond I get 1/2" @ 100yds. Does anyone have any personal experience with .284 Accubonds on elk or large deer. I will, of course, test them this fall on game, but I would love to hear any of your experiences w/ this combo. Thanks, Brett[/align]

skeeter 7MM 01-20-2007 09:58 AM

RE: Accubond penetration?

Not with 140AB but I have used the 160AB in my 7mm rem mag for moose, elk and deer. All were behind the shoulder heart lung shots and pass thrus. I was happy with the performance. I am not sure how they'll perform on shoulder shots. I have switched to the 140gr Barnes TSX for moose and elk. Equally it has preformed good on 2 bull elk behind the shoulder H/L shots and on a shoulder shot of a bull moose yeilded awesome results(recovered bullet found on the oppsite side hidewas over 2x diamter and in excess of 90% weight rentention - shot distance was 70yards/MV +3200fps).

Both loads group sub 1 at 100.

Pawildman 01-20-2007 10:44 AM

I'm gonna have to kill another deer or two before I'm able to give my verdict. I know yoi are looking for reports on large deer-type animals, but I'll give you my results on an average-sized whitetail (115-120lbs) I shot this year. It was shot from a tree stand at a distance of about 45 yds. It was a quartering away shot. The bullet entered forward mid-ribcage,and broke the far (right) shoulder. No exit. I was in a hurry to get the deer to the butcher's due to the warm weather, so I spent NO time doing any further investigation.
The gun used was a 7mm-08, 140 gr. Accubonds, av. MV of 2801.
I also used to shoot the Hornady 139 gr. SP, but the Accubonds gave me better accuracy also, hence the switch.
I'm not ready to switch, just need some more experience with it. I'm not about to pass judgement one way or the other based on this one experience.

mossy33oak 01-21-2007 06:51 AM

the biggest animal I have personally seen taken with one was my best friend whom I load for in his 338 win. He is shooting the 225gr Accubond and shot a 225 lb Canadian whitetail on a straight on shot at 125 yards in the brisket. The bullet traveled down through the vitals and made a left turn and lodged in the hind quarter just under the skin. It kept 65% of its weight when we weighed it. I was impressed.

trailer 01-21-2007 03:25 PM

I shot a small buck this past season with my 7mm-08 using 140 gr. Accubond at 135 yards. This buck was quartering towards me. I was surprised to see that the bullet never passed thru and had no blood trail. When i gutted him I had noticed that I had clipped his stomach but couldn’t find the bullet. This could have been a long day if I would have pushed this deer but have learnt a long time ago to wait. This just might have been an isolated incident and still plan on using them...

Fl Still Hunter 01-23-2007 06:10 AM

The A Bonds work great for Me !!!!
I use the 140s in both My 7 Mil Mag and in My 7-08. Both preform great on deer size game, average weight 150 to 180 lbs. I have taken several does andtwo nice bucks in the last two Years. I have yet to recover a bullet, all exited the animals with average 2 inch exit wolnds. Very little meat damage compared to the Ballistic tipped bullets. I load the 7 MM hot as ti will go and the 7-08 a little lighter for My Son. The A Bonds seem to work well at all velosaties. The acuracy with these bullets is outstanding in both the Rem 700 and the Mod 7 alike. I do not think I will be switching out any time soon !!!!

ShatoDavis 01-24-2007 08:02 AM

No offense to anyone, but Whitetail are not a very good subject to base penetration on. Any experience with BIG game? The moose reply surely seemed encouraging to me.

OBTW, would someone with pull at Nosler please tell them to make a 6.5 mm 140 gr. Accubond. I've got a 6.5-284 that I would love to try accubonds with.

Roskoe 01-24-2007 09:57 AM

Let me second a request for that 6.5 bullet; although the 130 gr. Scirocco II is shooting pretty good out of my 6.5-284. Haven't had a chance to try it out on game yet.

Roskoe 01-24-2007 02:32 PM

Great :):). I think I'd rather have a hunting bullet in the 125 to 130 grain range anyway. SD is about right for things you would normally hunt with a 6.5 MM.

ShatoDavis 01-25-2007 07:40 AM

That is encouraging. Maybe they'll start with the 130 this year and increase their line to include 120's and 140's later.