Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Fire-forming 35 whelen >

Fire-forming 35 whelen

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Fire-forming 35 whelen

Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 PM

Default RE: Fire-forming 35 whelen

ORIGINAL: fishdog52

You may not need to fireform. I can run a well lubed piece of 06 brass through my RCBS Whelen resizing die & have a piece of 35 Whelen brass ready to load & shoot. No particular effort seems to be required. With military brass, I do not get many reloads before the necks split. Over the holidays I reformed some Federal 06 brass as I had no other use for it & wanted to check out some new bullets in my Whelen. For most of my shooting I use factory brass. With a little patience, you should be able to track some down for less than 20 cents a piece.
I agree with your premis.......not with cases that are derivatives though....My post was for the 6.5-'06 Ackley not the 35 Whelen....which I also fireform in the same manner....Like I said cheap, fast and effecient and will not put stress on your brass in tender areas. One of the draw cards for the Ackley is loooooong case life....IMHO, don't start out by crushing the brass when there are other options. Regards, Rick.