Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Slowest STW known to man >

Slowest STW known to man

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Slowest STW known to man

Old 01-02-2007, 07:33 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Slowest STW known to man

Ridge I was thinking also of trying AA8700. I don't have any now. But a sphereical powder might be nice as you imply.

Old 01-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I loaded up some 160's for my 7mm Rem Mag with H-870 and the book says they should be right at 3200 fps. But I haven't chronographed them yet. They were Accubonds.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:07 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

I loaded up some 160's for my 7mm Rem Mag with H-870 and the book says they should be right at 3200 fps. But I haven't chronographed them yet. They were Accubonds.
what book in the world said you can get 3200fps with a 7mmremmag and 160's? I know its not Nosler. I know its not Hogdon.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Dominant Buck

Check these out BC

J36 LOADING DATA
Old 01-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Mark - I hate to break this to you, man; but you might have just gotten a really slow barrel here. I've seen this before - had a .300 Weatherby 26" Shilen barrel back in 1996 that couldn't safely make 3,000 fps with any 180 gr. bullet. On the other extreme, I have also had a couple of Shilen SS barrels in 7 STW that could safely make 3600 with a 140 gr. bullet. It is what it is . . . . and I doubt if playing around with a bunch of powders is going to improve things very much.

Having said that, have you checked the amount of freeboreahead of that chamber? It is also possible that this gun has a really long throat, and the loads you are shooting are not developing the kind of pressure that we normally associate with "full throttle" - even though they are close to what the book lists as a maximum charge? Just a passing thought . . . .
Old 01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
bigcountry

You might be right Roskoe. I am going to give RL25 and Retumbo a try. Its just a shame to burn 80gr of powder for 7mmremmag velocities.

And yes, it does have alot of freebore. I load to 3.63", to fit my mag, and it doesn't touch the rifleing until 3.75". But it shot factories fine. I should have chrono'd.

I do have a spare barrel. I got it off a guy who bought a Sako75 and never shot the first round off, but had it rebarreled immediately. So maybe I could get my gunsmith to back up the freebore some. I still got some options.

Old 01-02-2007, 01:26 PM
bigcountry

Just got off the phone from the Shooting Chrony folks. They said they bet anything that I am shooting too close to the chrony in why my velocities were so low.

Ok, yesterday was the first time I have shot so close thru my chrony. Usually at my normal range, I have to put out like 17ft to get sunlight causethe range iscovered. Yesterday I didn't think about it, and was shooting with mossy. I had the chrono like maybe 8ft away from my muzzle. The guys at shooting chrony told me the more powerful gun I shoot, the worst it should be off. Sounds right, my 45-70 was decently on, what I would expect, my 308win was about 50-60fps slower than expected from previous shooting, mossy's rem mag was 100-130fps slower than expected, and my STW was 150fps slower than expected. I have never shot that close, so he may be on something there.

So this may explain my crazy slowness. He told me minimum of 15ft from the muzzle. I have always read that, but didn't expect it to make a difference.

Old 01-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

man if thats the case, that 3180 fps outta my 25-06 should really look good when we move it out! I might be gettin close to 3300!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Just got off the phone from the Shooting Chrony folks. They said they bet anything that I am shooting too close to the chrony in why my velocities were so low.

Ok, yesterday was the first time I have shot so close thru my chrony. Usually at my normal range, I have to put out like 17ft to get sunlight causethe range iscovered. Yesterday I didn't think about it, and was shooting with mossy. I had the chrono like maybe 8ft away from my muzzle. The guys at shooting chrony told me the more powerful gun I shoot, the worst it should be off. Sounds right, my 45-70 was decently on, what I would expect, my 308win was about 50-60fps slower than expected from previous shooting, mossy's rem mag was 100-130fps slower than expected, and my STW was 150fps slower than expected. I have never shot that close, so he may be on something there.

So this may explain my crazy slowness. He told me minimum of 15ft from the muzzle. I have always read that, but didn't expect it to make a difference.
Dumb question, should all Chronys be that far away? Ive never heard that and when me and bud occasionally shoot thru it, wellthe results areusually disappointing to say the least.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:54 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: Duckbutter48

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Dumb question, should all Chronys be that far away? Ive never heard that and when me and bud occasionally shoot thru it, wellthe results areusually disappointing to say the least.
Well, I notice in all published results like in Rifle or Reloader mag, they always state chrono set 5 yards from muzzle. I was doing some research, and it sounds like with a subsonic pistol, effects can be worse because the actual blast will trigger the sensors, and then comes the bullet. And with high powered rifles, the bullet comes first and the blast will be the dominating effect on the photocells. I know everytime mossy and I took a shot with our 7mm mag I would see the chrono rock from the blast.

I ain't no expert on the Chrono, as I use it 3 maybe 4 times a year as it takes away from my concentration when load development.

I also used to use scotch tape over the sensors on bright days, and it seemed to make results very repeatable. I can see how that might help minimize the blast effects also.

Well, mossy, I will load up another 40 rounds and lets give it another try on Sunday?

Quick Reply: Slowest STW known to man

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.