Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass?

Old 12-26-2006, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brass?

Guys this is just like a discussion between a Tasco scope and a Swarovski. Will the Tasco do the job, yes. But which do you want on the rifle. I have used WW, Rem, Fed, Starline, Lapua, Norma, PMC, Lake City, And a couple others. If you want:
1. Most consistent weight
2. Most Concentric bodies, and necks
3. Neck alignment to case
4. Consistent neck wall thickness
5. Least amount of cases in the second and third SD of all above
6. Most consistent volumes

Lapua is first, Norma is second, Lake City match is third, WW is fourth, then throw in the rest.

Lapua brass runs around $.68 and WW runs around $.28-If you throw out the caes that are in the 2nd & 3rd SD for the above listed, then I would guess the WW goes up to about around $.35. So you pay around $.33 a casing more for the better brass. Sorry, but that does not sound like much to me. Let's be honest how many people really order more than 100 or possibly 200 cases at a time. Most people only order 20 or 40.

The question is what is your goal. The major difference is in the necks, and the weight. In my opinion all brass out of the bag-except Lapua have to be neck turned out of the bag, or at least trimmed up. With Lapua I can order a neck bushing(consistently) for my die, and I am off. CASES ARE THE LEAST AMOUNT OF MONEY YOU CAN SPEND, TO ACHIEVE THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF ACCURACY INCREASE. Bullets are second, but man there is a big price discrepancy there. Tom.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:54 AM

When i buy casesthey arealways Winchester. Use a lot of range pickup cases of nearly all brands. i weigh my .30-06 cases wheni want a reallyheavy or accurateload: Winchester casesare almost always lighter than other brands and i can stuff a little more IMR 3031 into them and still be safe.Winchester cases and primers have worked well for me.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:56 PM
bigcountry

I use remington because its cheap. But if you want rule out brass in the reloading process, Norma is very nice. I will keep on griping about remington and using it.

Old 12-26-2006, 04:52 PM
DM

"Is Norma brass worth the extra cash?"

No. And I have had no problems at all with either WW or R-P cases.
I agree... I never thought of Norma brass being all that good, especially in the Weatherby versions....

I've had good luck with Rem./Win./Fed. brass, and i like RWS brass too....

I wouldn't pay more for any brass unless i was bench rest shooting as my Win./Rem./Fed. brass will shoot 1/2" and better groups in my guns that will shoot that well... The other exceptions is for cal's like my 9.3x74R double that gets RWS because Rem./Win./Fed. doesn't make it in that cartridge...

DM
Old 12-26-2006, 05:07 PM

Thanks guys. I think someone hit it on the head when they talked about not shooting lots of bullets. I might buy 100 brass every 5 years. Probably worth the extra $.
Old 12-28-2006, 07:47 AM

Mossy,
[/align]
[/align]A lot of that "war zone" look you see when you get your Remington brass is more than likely due to the fact that their brass is softer overall, and quite possibly their final finish tumbling practice's are little rough, considering this.
[/align]
[/align]I don't have any real gripes about Winchester brass, but as a few notes were made regarding cracked case mouths and such, "been there, seen that".
[/align]Asfar as other issues regarding misshapenpieces, etc., I've seen lots come through regarding both brands that contained these.
[/align]Most of it can be easily remedied.I've switched to Remington's because their brass, being softer, lasts longer, and for me in my trials, has given better accuracy, meaning theinside dimensions are more consistent.
[/align]
[/align]Winchester is just harder than Remington for the most part, and in this case (to a realistic point) softer is better. Too soft and you'll get wrinkles and oil dents very easily. Too hard and you'll get case neck splits and primer pocket troubles early on.
[/align]
[/align]Possibly Winchester skips an annealing process somewhere along the line that they feel isn't necessary. Don't know....[/align][/align]As far as Norma and Lapua brass......due to their exorbitant cost, I might use them if I was shooting competition matches and the like, but for the average shooter/hunter/reloader, I highly doubt you'll ever see the difference. If it's a consideration, buy the Remington's and sort your brass by weight. You'll still be cheaper ahead.[/align][/align]
[/align]Take care,
[/align]Bob
[/align]
Old 12-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DM

"Is Norma brass worth the extra cash?"

No. And I have had no problems at all with either WW or R-P cases.
I agree... I never thought of Norma brass being all that good, especially in the Weatherby versions....

I've had good luck with Rem./Win./Fed. brass, and i like RWS brass too....

I wouldn't pay more for any brass unless i was bench rest shooting as my Win./Rem./Fed. brass will shoot 1/2" and better groups in my guns that will shoot that well... The other exceptions is for cal's like my 9.3x74R double that gets RWS because Rem./Win./Fed. doesn't make it in that cartridge...

DM
I don't know whether Norma brass has been improved or not, but the last time I bought any, it was softer than either Rem. or Win., and would NOT PERMIT use of the same max loads as either of the US brands. At one time, it was so soft that the .300 Weatherby brass made by Norma could not produce velocities as high as you could get with the .300 Win. mag. using Win. brass without stretching the primer pockets.

I use RWS 7X65R cases to make 8X60 RS brass. It is great brass!