Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 which brand of primer 4 U?? >

which brand of primer 4 U??

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

which brand of primer 4 U??

Old 12-17-2006, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default which brand of primer 4 U??

Which brand of primer do you use mostly and why?? I started with cci and I am wondering about velocity or accuracy gains you might have experienced by changing. Lee says only use federal primers one at the time but, I have noticed several reloading manuals using them. I am curious about your thoughts and experiences regarding this component.

also. Does anyone have experience with mag primers in standard cals? I have seen some recommendations for this for over bore loads like the 25-06, which I have. Just curious as, I have seen this online but, not in any load manuals.

mello
Old 12-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: which brand of primer 4 U??

I've only used CCI magnum primers because that was all our store carried at the time. I've heard 2 different things about magnum vs. regular primers. One is that you'll increase your head pressure , so you should err on the side of caution and not max out the load. The other is that it does not increase the head pressure, they only burn faster. I haven't had a problem using magnum primers in 45LC and 30-06. Now that our store here has regulars back in stock, I'll probably grab a box of Large Rifle and Lrge Pistol and see if I can tell a difference with the same loads.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use CCI Primers (Standard), have never had any problems with them. Lee is referring to seating the Federal Primers one ata time because they are sensitive, and excessive pressure can cause them to prematurely detonate. One heck of a shock if you have a bunch of them in a tube or little plastic container.

Later,

Marcial
Old 12-17-2006, 12:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 AM

I use Fed 210 GMM primers for just about all my rifle calibers. In my .375 H&H, I use the Fed 215 GMM. This might be a bit overkill, since I'm only running 69 grains of powder. I might try another primer that's no quite so hot, just to see what they do. In my .223, I use Remington 7-1/2 primers. I found a good load with them way back when, and I haven't found reason to change.

In my pistol calibers, I use whatever is cheapest. For my purposes, I really haven't found much difference in the brands - with the exception of my 10mm Glock. I have had issues with WLP primers in this particular pistol, so I only use Federal primers in my 10mm ammo.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:06 PM

+1 for Fed Gold Metal Match.....It's all I use.

firstshot
---------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:29 PM

Winchester
Old 12-22-2006, 05:54 PM

I use Federal 210, and Federal 215.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:58 PM

ORIGINAL: Dan in Alaska

I use Fed 210 GMM primers for just about all my rifle calibers. In my .375 H&H, I use the Fed 215 GMM. This might be a bit overkill, since I'm only running 69 grains of powder. I might try another primer that's no quite so hot, just to see what they do. In my .223, I use Remington 7-1/2 primers. I found a good load with them way back when, and I haven't found reason to change.

In my pistol calibers, I use whatever is cheapest. For my purposes, I really haven't found much difference in the brands - with the exception of my 10mm Glock. I have had issues with WLP primers in this particular pistol, so I only use Federal primers in my 10mm ammo.
I have an awesome 375 H&H load worked up for the 270 Gr, Barnes TSX, I use 81 Grs of Hodgdon H4350, over a Federal 215 Primer.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:35 PM
Fork Horn

Well it is apparent from this small sample that federal match primers are the winner. Thank you all for your replies. I started with cci and it is the only brand I had tried so far. I guess I’ll go pick up some federals to work with in January.

Thanks again
mello

Quick Reply: which brand of primer 4 U??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.