Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Copies of A-Squares thinking? >

Copies of A-Squares thinking?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Copies of A-Squares thinking?

Old 10-30-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Copies of A-Squares thinking?

Are there any companies out there doing what A-Square does in regards to offering three different bullets with the same BC and everything so that you can essentially have three loads with the same POI (assuming same weight is used)?

I really like the idea...but there's no way I'm paying what they ask for bullets.

The questions about "one catridge, one load" topics got me thinking.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Copies of A-Squares thinking?

I honestly have never heard of A-Square but I like what you have brought up. Essentially having three bullets that hit the same spot but do different things. One for varmint hunting that will make a PD pop like a balloon, another for hunting that will expand but not fragment too much, and another long range targetshooter. All could use the same powder charge and seating depths. Just pick the bullet for the required job of the day.

That would be nice!!
Old 10-30-2006, 09:29 PM

EXACTLY! Except they do big-bore DG ammunition. Bullets get up to $2.00 a pop on some of the fancier stuff. They make three bullets. The monolithic, a RN solid. The Lion load (or something like that), a jacketed RN that expands. The dead tough, a jacketed RN controlled expansion. All three have the exact same shape/deminsions for a given weight.
Old 10-31-2006, 02:39 AM

Sounds a lot like another gimmick to me. Unfortunately there is no industrystandard for calculating ballistic coeficient. Comanies can and DO manipulate BC to their advantage.
BC is only one of many, many factors that effect point of impact. The oneI think would come into play here the most is barrel harmonics. Since you're talking about using different weight bullets, you'll have to use different powders and charges,and will get different burn rates. This means the bullets will take differing amounts of time to leave the bore. Ifbullet Xleaves the bore on the down side of the "harmonics", and bullet Y leaves on the upside, you get different POI, no matter how close the BC. Make sense?
Old 10-31-2006, 03:53 AM

The BC are the same. This whole idea operates on bullets of the same weight. Same company making three bullets that are identical in their external features. The difference is only in the internal construction.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:08 AM

I know. Internal construction makes a difference also. BC and weight may be the same but a soft point might bemore nose heavythan a hollow point, etc.
I get it though. Makes some sense and surely they'll impact close. But it's still gimmicky like the Lever Revolution bullets
Old 10-31-2006, 06:31 PM

Alright, sound like we've got things cleared up now. I can see how their monolithic may have a different FOC (borrowed from the archery world) since its a solid alloy...and now come to think of it the outside deminsions may not be the same in regards to length, if different materials are used. The wieght and profiles are the same, and that's what I was getting hung up on. I got the impression you thought one was HP while the other was FMJ or what-not.

I would still *like* to think they'd group well enough within 200yards that you could play around and learn to compensate the little differences...but then you're right back where you started, just with a shorter road to hoe.
Old 11-01-2006, 02:51 AM

They probably will group fairly close at 200 yards. But don't count on the difference between POI's being vertical. It may be horizontal, or both.