Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Anybody else getting cold answers Sierra? >

Anybody else getting cold answers Sierra?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Anybody else getting cold answers Sierra?

Old 09-12-2006, 06:25 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Anybody else getting cold answers Sierra?

ORIGINAL: Briman

What Eldeguello said.

Target shooters buy their bullets by the thousand, if not 10 thousand, Sierra dominates this market. Hunters typically buy one or two boxes of 50 or 100 and are set for several years- Sierra probably has no need to try to compete with all of the others in this market.
Wow, many huge American enterprises made the mistake of thinking this way. Montgomery Ward, Buick, oldsmobile, K-Mart. You got to think ahead of the game and not be content with taking a share. business 101. History will show business of any type is either growing or falling. Never in between. Kinda like a marriage.

Old 09-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

I see that two ways. In a way BC is right. On the other hand if you do one thing better than anyone else, sometimes its better than doing several things half way. I think Sierra is tops in accurate bullets and I look to them for some of the best NON-PREMIUM bullets on the market. To me the Pro-Hunters are deadly accurate and very effective. JMO.
Old 09-20-2006, 06:15 AM

I used nothing but Sierra bullets forabout forty years, with a few exceptions. There were times when I held a recovered jacket that had lost its core,but because I had the jacket, I'd recovered the animal I'd shot it at. Dead animal, the bullet functioned, right? Since I keep a lot of records, I began to notice that the accuracy of the .224 bullets I shot was on a downhill slide. The first thing I looked at was me.I weighed and measuredenough bullets and rolled enough bullets that my wife thought I was into somethind weird. When I had my results, they said the bullets weren't doing as well as they once did. So I started testing other .224 bullets in .222 Rem, .223 Rem, and the .22-250 Rem. When I tried the Nosler solid base bullets I discovered the fine accuracy I had once enjoyed. But about that time Nosler fell in love with the name Ballistic Tip. I wasn't sure that the bullets were being changed or not, and I sort of wanted to go back to Sierra, and, well Sierra started advertising the blitz king .224 bullets. So I waited for them to hit the market with baited breath. I should have used a different bait. in my rifles the accuracy was pretty poor and a dissappointment. Performance stunk, in my opinion. I had enough after my daughter and I went on a pdog shoot. I was shooting my .22-250 at pdogs 250 yards or more away. Katie got to shoot at every thing closer than 250 yards. Due to dogs dragging themselves towards holes after being hit, we reduced Katies range to 200 yards max. We always walk through an area after about 45 minutes of shooting to kill those that have been wounded. We found quite a few dogs that had been hit in center mass that had a .224 hole in and a .224 hole out when hit with a 50 grain blitz king from Katies .222. That was lousy bullet performance in my book. The back of the dog should have had massive damage to it. We found the same results with dogs hit at about 350 yards with the 55 grain blitz king fron my .22-250. We also heard quite afew ricochets during the shoot.

Once at home the demands on bullets got pretty steep. Now I want a .308 150 grain bullet to expand to at least twice its original diameter, and retain at least 120 grains in weight, amd more is better. There should never be separation of jacket and core. With the .224 bullets I expect to see body parts flying through the air when the bullet strikes. Not because I'm a sadistwho seeks perverse pleasure. But rather because then I know that the wound was so terrible that the pdog, even if hit around the edges, was killed instantly. Because if that is not the case, I have no business shooting at them. Please excuse the ramblings of an old man.

For what it's worth, today I shoot nothing but Nosler Accubond for hunting and the Ballistic tip for pdog.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

Iam currently shooting 50 and 55 grain Sierra BlitzKings out of my .223 and 22-250. They both make the dogs go "pop". Even when shooting 40 grain hollow points out of the .223, I would still get a dog every now and again that would be able to crawl back to it's hole. Guts would be hanging out, but it would make it back. I never had a bullet that went completely through without expanding either.

Last week after purchasing a .308 barrel, I emailed Sierra about some load data for the 150 grain bullets that they offered. Dumb me, forgot to tell them what caliber it was for. They guy that responded the next day to my email said without knowing what caliber I needed, that he just guessed and went ahead and attached a .pdf file for the .308 loads. Said that if it wasn't the right caliber to email him back and he would send the correct one immediately. Luckily I got the right one but I went ahead and emailed him back and apologized for forgetting to name the caliber and gave a thanks for the quick reply and for the data.

After going over the data and looking at the BC's of the bullets on Sierra's site, I decided on the 155 grain HPBTPalma MatchKings. Just got done slapping the moly to them about 30 minutes ago too. I am planning to use them to get into the 1000+ yard PD shoot club. Not a real club, just me, myself, and I when/if it happens.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I loaded up some of Sierras Game Kings last year for deer hunting, and I was not impressed with actual performance on deer. They shot very nicely though. I only load Sierra bullets for varmint/coyote hunting, and I too have always wondered why they don't have a premium bullet on the market.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:46 AM

Well, I have to agree and disagree. Seems that sierra is not keeping up with the times. Several months ago I called the techs needing help with a 223wssm. He stated they had not tested anything & looked at hogdon's website for loads. I had already done that...

However, I am a pretty big Sierra fan. Seems nearly everything I shoot from them does well to great on paper. I have also found the 55gr blitzking to be pretty explosive in my 22-250 and somewhat violent at my 223rem volocities (not as much as v-max though). Pick up a new box of BK's and give them another try. We don't have any yard poodles here but when you seperate crow parts, it's pretty soft.

As for bonded... If I were going to shoot elk or larger, I'd be the first one to top a bonded. Again though, deer here in NC are not that big. You don't need 36" of penetration. I have shot gamekings (and Hornaday interlocks)in a 7rem & 25/06 for years, but then I hoped on the pandwagon & tried: barns, swift, and accubonds. All preformed well and I never lost a deer with any. What did happen is I spent a lot more time bloodtrailing. These bonded bullets hold together well & penetrate great (like designed) but they don't leave the large wound chanell & tissue damage you get from seperating lead (not as many DRT). I now shoot gamekings again in all my deer rifles. IfI need more penetration, I go up in weight. I may be disapointed down the road, but I don't see it.

If you make and TAKE good shots. Any bullet will do.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:46 PM

I'm not into the Sierra bashing group, I love them and trust them to cleanly kill any animal I choose to take. As for the magazine add I can't find what some think is misleading about it. They give the volicity and the range, it's all repeatable for you skeptics, and may I add Lawyer proof. If not Speer,Hornady, Swift and Nosler would have had it stoped long ago! And as for the blitz king bullets, I don't use them either. With a 1-in 9 twist many simply blow up before getting to the target, not an indication of a too hard bullet! And yes I know I'm another old fart that just keeps rambling along. But if Sierra ever does enter the so called premium bullet market, it will be one to stir the pot with! But seriously everyone should use what ever bullet they have confidence in, if it works for you be happy.
Old 10-24-2006, 04:15 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

NOw they stuck thier foot in thier mouth with thier big ads saying a bonded bullet is a waste. They would have to eat some crow.
Hell yes! They screwed the pooch big time with that ad. Ah! forget Sierra they are still in denial thinking they do NOT need a premium.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Bob you know Nosler is making the Solid Base bullets again dont you? I haveloaded a few of them but havent got to do much shooting yet.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Fork Horn

only thing i use sierra's for is fireforming 35 Whelen AI cases... never been a fan cept some matchkings.... but as to not speak bad of only sierra... i have way to many stories of poor performance from Nosler BT's in sub 30 caliber loads... especially on a sharp quartering angle shot... i do us the BT's in the 35 though... excellent performance in whitetail...
s

Quick Reply: Anybody else getting cold answers Sierra?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.