Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Dies that don't use lube >

Dies that don't use lube

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Dies that don't use lube

Old 08-11-2006, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dies that don't use lube

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the dies that don't use case lube. I believe they are called carbide dies (?) Not sure.

How do they work?

Are they full length resizing dies?

Are there any down sides?

Thanks

Tom
Old 08-11-2006, 08:28 AM

Default RE: Dies that don't use lube

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Hey guys,

I have a question regarding the dies that don't use case lube. I believe they are called carbide dies (?) Not sure.

How do they work? This steel doesn't require lube

Are they full length resizing dies? Yes

Are there any down sides? None that I know of

Thanks

Tom
Old 08-11-2006, 08:30 AM
bigcountry

Generally only available for straight walled pistol cases. And not all. Like for a 45-70 or my new 460 smith, not available due to slight taper. Also, I load for a 357sig cartrdige. Its a bottlenecked 9mm basically. But there was one company that made them for that. But RCBS and Lee didn't. thats the reason I say "generally".

Carbide is much, much harder than steel. Thats the reason no lube needed, the case does not embed itself in the metal like steel. I am not exactly sure why they can't make carbide FL rifle dies, but I think it mostly has to do with expense or trying to mill and polish to be able to FL size. The carbide in pistol dies is generally only at the opening.

I don't really see a downside.

Old 08-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

That totally sucks. I was hoping to spend a few bucks to eliminate the lubing part. I guess I still have to do it the old fashioned way and lube it up before I put it in! lol.

Tom
Old 08-11-2006, 09:19 AM
bigcountry

Stat think its about time for you try Hornady one shot. Spray lube thats not near as messy as the pad. Along with that get some imperial neck lube for lubing necks before seating bullets or whatever.

Old 08-11-2006, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Generally only available for straight walled pistol cases. And not all. Like for a 45-70 or my new 460 smith, not available due to slight taper. Also, I load for a 357sig cartrdige. Its a bottlenecked 9mm basically. But there was one company that made them for that. But RCBS and Lee didn't. thats the reason I say "generally".

Carbide is much, much harder than steel. Thats the reason no lube needed, the case does not embed itself in the metal like steel. I am not exactly sure why they can't make carbide FL rifle dies, but I think it mostly has to do with expense or trying to mill and polish to be able to FL size. The carbide in pistol dies is generally only at the opening.

I don't really see a downside.

the reason they cant make carbide FL rifle dies is because carbide is too hard to mill. The carbide has to be heated up and forged to shape so like you said its most likely due to cost why they dont make them.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a set of carbide 223 dies from Dillon .
But the cases still need lubed .
And cost is a problem .
If I bought then new , a 3 die 223 set runs $119.95 and just the sizer die runs $92.95
http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=47&min=0&dyn=1&

Johnch
Old 08-12-2006, 05:35 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: johnch

I have a set of carbide 223 dies from Dillon .
But the cases still need lubed .
And cost is a problem .
If I bought then new , a 3 die 223 set runs $119.95 and just the sizer die runs $92.95
http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=47&min=0&dyn=1&

Johnch
I seen where Dillon had some 357 sig carbide dies, but like you, the price kept me from it.