Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Primers

Old 07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Primers

What kind of primers do I need?

I'm looking to reload 300 Win Mag and 7.5x55 swiss.

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-11-2006, 07:08 AM

Default RE: Primers

Large rifle. I'm partial to either CCI or Winchester primers. Check your load data for specific recommendations, some powders in large cases might benefit from Magnum promers.
Old 07-11-2006, 07:09 AM
bigcountry

I would pick federal 215M. And also pick up some Winchester large rifle mags. You would like to have two different primers. I have seen a few times where changin primers made a world of difference. Not always but sometimes.

Not sure for a 7.5?

Mainly it depends on your powder. For instance, with 300RUM, I used 215M or CCI250, and even tried rem 9.5Mfor anything slower than RL22, but had great luck with 150gr bullets and 210M in it with faster powder like 4350.

I would start loading RL22 or IMR4831 for the 300win.

Old 07-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is going to get interesting and expensive!

Tom
Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

This is going to get interesting and expensive!

Tom
You have no idea. Its a monster for some. Wait until you get into concentricity, neck thickness, annealing, power trimmers, water capacity. You will have so many tools. you won't know what to do with them all.

I haved wasted so much money on useless tools. but one that sticks out as the most useful to me is the stoney point head and shoulders gauge and ogive measurement attachment.

Old 07-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the 300winmag the federal 215.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

WLRM I've tried everybody's primers and will only use the Winchester magnum primer. They are the most consistant.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:34 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: redgreen

WLRM I've tried everybody's primers and will only use the Winchester magnum primer. They are the most consistant.
Most consistent as far as how? Just curious. Maybe you can share your test results. All the tests I have seen, shown them actually to be the most inconsistent but the highest blast. There was an article in precision rifle about it several years ago that was really good.

I like them on slow slow powders.

Old 07-13-2006, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was told CCI are the most reloadable because they are tougher. Any truth to that?

Tom
Old 07-13-2006, 09:22 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: statjunk

I was told CCI are the most reloadable because they are tougher. Any truth to that?

Tom
Little bit. You been doin your homework.Winchester and CCI take more force to fire off. Federals are the most sensitive. I like senisitive. Especially in different weather.

Tougher can be a bad thing. For example I seen cci's in encores where they put a trigger extender on it. And sometimes there wasn't enough force to fire em off. But federals worked great.

Quick Reply: Primers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.