HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Made the decision; Now Need Help (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/146871-made-decision-now-need-help.html)

statjunk 07-03-2006 09:56 PM

Made the decision; Now Need Help

Hey guys,

I decided that I'm going to have to get into reloading. What is my best approach? Starter kit? Buy the good stuff now and save in the long run? A reloading manual?

I'll be reloading for the bullets:

7.5x55
300 WinMag
.308 Win

I seldom shoot handguns so that isn't as big of a deal. But I own a 9mm and I will be getting a .38 soon.

Here is one issue to consider I don't have a workshop so whatever I end up with needs to be something I can mount on a board and move it to the kitchen table to work on it.

Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

AmericanPioneer 07-04-2006 12:19 AM

RE: Made the decision; Now Need Help

I have used a lee hand press and lee hand priming tool for many, many, years. I didnt have room for a bench so I went with that and have made some accurate loads with it. They are inexpensive and have a lifetime warranty. I can resize and prime my cases while I watch tv. I have a new lyman press that is worked by hand but have never used it. Why try to fix something that aint broke. Its best to start lower and see if you are going to like and stick with it before investing in the more expensive stuff. I did use rcbs weighted scales but moved up to digital. I like them alot more for getting to the exact tenth of a grain on my charges. I would recommend a set of those. As for reloading 9mm I gave it up because I can get 50 round boxes of usa brand from walmarts for $7.00. The .38 would be different though. You could load pretty cheap for it buying cast bullets in quantity. As for a manual I have a hogdon, lee, and lyman, but I started buying these manuals that have all loads from every manual out there for a specific caliber your loading for and their great. They run about 6.99 from Cabelas. Heres a link for the manuals.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&id=0003193 210759a&navCount=1&podId=0003193&paren tId=cat430003&navAction=push&catalogCode=I G&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat430 003&hasJS=true

Heres the link for the press kit.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0032406215925a&navCount=4&podI d=0032406&parentId=cat20847&navAction=jump &cmCat=MainCatcat20712&catalogCode=2UG&amp ;rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&am p;hasJS=true

statjunk 07-05-2006 06:26 AM

Wow thats cheap for the reloading press. I'm surprised. Is the Lee hand press significantly slower than one of the larger units that I've seen? Since this press is so small is there a tendency to produce less precise loads?

Also is it better to go with individual manuals for each cartridge or one manual that covers them all?

Thanks

Tom

Elk2901 07-05-2006 08:03 AM

From my experience I would recommend Dillon Precision equipment. I have the AT500 which is a turrent model that can be upgraded to the RL550. But I don't reload in sufficient quantity to justify (nor do I like) progressive reloaders.

But for reloading a number of different calibers, I like Dillon presses. You can purchase tool-heads for each caliber or rifle that you load for and never have to re-adjust the dies. Plus you get Dillon's No BS guarranty. Once you buy a Dillon you will have it forever. They are tuff but still made to be repaired or upgraded.

Sportsman Warehouse sells the RL550 and all the parts that you might need. Some other major sporting goods dealers also handle Dillon.

lemoyne 07-05-2006 09:06 AM

I have been through the same problem, I tried a number of things including the Lee set up they all worked. What I ended up with after many years was an "O" Press and one of the craftman work tables; I mounted the press on a steel plate welded that to a 4"high] peice of I shaped structure steel and clamped it in the table when using it I use a small steel cabnet to put all my equipment when not in use.Lee

statjunk 07-05-2006 11:12 AM

So is the Lee press going to make things slow and tedious? Can someone give me an estimate to load one round in a lee press versus loading on a bench mounted press?

Will the precision decrease by using the Lee press because it isn't mounted?

Thanks

Tom

Charley 07-05-2006 01:34 PM

You can load good, shootable ammunition with a hand press, the controling factor is you. It will be slower than a bench mount press, though. Your idea to mount a press on a board and clamp it to a table is a good one, and I used that approach for several years. I simply mounted a press to a 2x6, and used "C" clamps to attach it to a countertop when i wanted to work.

Buy a couple of complete manuals before buying anything else. By complete, I mean one geared toward basic technoque. I would suggest Lyman's book (#48, I think they are up to), or Richard Lee's Modern Reloading. Buy both if you can, they will answer most of your questions.

Many a person slams Lee equipment on this and other boards. Yep, a Dillon feels better, works easier and costs a bunch more. Does it load better ammo? Nope.

I currently have 2 Dillon 550s, but still usea Lee turret press for small batches. The Dillons load faster, not better.

North Texan 07-05-2006 05:07 PM

I use an RCBS rock chucker (bought kit from Cabela's a couple years ago), and I really like it. It is easy to set up and use, and it is second to none in terms of quality. I'm never in a hurry while I'm reloading (don't want to make mistakes), and Iusually loadabout 40-50 rounds an hour.

I also like the book series that has a book for each cartridge. Midway and Cabela's both have them.

#40Fan 07-05-2006 08:13 PM

I am a Lee man myself. I started out with an Lee Aniversary Kit that you can buy off of Midwayusa.com for $70. I bought mine off of ebay. It also came with a die set (of my choice of caliber), the lock stud, cutter, and Modern Reloading manual for $120 shipped. The only thing extra I had to buy was the shell holder and length gauge for the trimming tool for my caliber. You might be able to get it cheaper if you order it all from Midway, but I have never checked.

After that you can figure it will cost around $35 for a set of dies, shell holder and length gauge for the trimmer, for each additional caliber. One thing I would do though is get the die set that comes with the Full Length Die, Neck Sizing (Collet) Die, and a Bullet Seating Die.

statjunk 07-06-2006 06:29 AM

Will the Lee Aniversary Press reload for 300 WinMag?

What is the concensus on the Lee Aniversary Press? Is it worth going that route or spending a little more out of the gates to get better stuff.

Are there starter kits that come with digital scales?

Tom