Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Made the decision; Now Need Help >

Made the decision; Now Need Help

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Made the decision; Now Need Help

Old 07-07-2006, 09:59 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Made the decision; Now Need Help

oops, somebody's feelings are hurt.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:00 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

What does it mean whenit says turret? Can it load more in a row? Is that the only advantage of a turret model?

I think I'll end up going with the lyman package deal with the digital scale. There is just so much that I don't know and a lot of opinions. If this is going to be a regretable decision please stop me now.

Also I priced out some of the stuff that I'd end up needing based on Charleys suggestions and I'm up to $270 and it doesn't include all the little doodads like funnels and powder dispenser, manuals, and anything else that I don't know of yet.

One last thing if I do end up going with the lyman kit what else am I going to have to buy other than dies, powder and bullets to get started reloading right away?

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-07-2006, 12:19 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

oops, somebody's feelings are hurt.
WTF does that mean? Just trying to give some basic ideas to a new guy. I've been handloading longer than many here have been alive, and I've seen and used a lot of different stuff over the years. Maybe we should advise him to forget production equipment, and load with benchrest equiment. I'm sure he won't mind spending the $750 to $1000 for a basic rig.

After looking at the contents of the Crusher kit, I suggestyou will need cases, powder, primers, andSAFETY GLASSES. A dial caliper will be handy, but you don't need one immediately. Everything in the kit will work and will work pretty well. You will enjoy handloading.

BTW, once you get established as a handloader, forget any hope of ever saving money doing it. You won't save a dime, but you will shoot a lot more for the same money!
Old 07-07-2006, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Charley,

BC was kidding!

Interesting to point out that I won't save any money. You're probably right. I'm going to go pick up the kit tonight at Cabela's if they have it in stock.

Tom

Old 07-07-2006, 03:43 PM
bigcountry

Actually I wasn't kidding. If one does a search on Charley, his favoriate topic is defending the Lee trash. All the way to 2004, he was singin the praises. Its just hard to believe anyone that loads more than 1box of ammo a month couldn't see the problem with a lee rig. Especially one who has been loading as long as he claims.

So anytime somebody recommends skipping the lee press, he is like a guarantee to show up defending it. He took a little longer than usual to respond this time however. Hence, somebody got thier feelings hurt. I have had several people who I have gotten setup reloading thank me for steering them away from Lee.

Old 07-07-2006, 03:46 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 07-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well the damage has been done. I ended up spending $400, a lot more than I expected to. I ended up buying the Lyman Expert Kit, Redding Powder Trickle, Redding 300 Win Mag Dies, Redding .308/.307 Dies, Redding Shell Holders,a hammer type thing that takes bullets apart, three shell holder boxes, and Cabela brand electronic caliper.

I couldn't find the dies for the 7.5x55 Swiss. Anyone know where I can get those?

Also the Cabelas I was at was having a tent sale and there was lots of reloading stuff in there. Lots of dies and all kinds of stuff but not what I was looking for. They did have a handful of Forester dies and some lots of dies in 6.5x55 Swede. Just in case anyone in the SE MI area is interested.

I'm looking forward to getting started. I'm going to try to figure out a decent mounting system for the press. Any ideas? I'm sure it will have to be sturdy. How much pressure will I have to put on the handle to be able to seat a bullet?

Thanks

Tom
Old 07-08-2006, 10:33 AM
bigcountry

Sounds like you did good.

Old 07-08-2006, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I couldn't find the dies for the 7.5x55 Swiss. Anyone know where I can get those?
Midway .(ez to find on the web)
Has them in lee/redding/rcbs etc die brands.( just got 2 lee rifle die sets etcfrom them- they shipped fast ,gotthem realquick)

Got good prices on most of my reloading presses 15 or so yrs ago at garage sales. 2 single stages& 1 manualturret press- 3lymans- allgood ones. $5(this one had alillbit of rust on its one part-it came of ez), $10 &$20( the turret model i payed 20 for- soa lill more for it)

Started with a smallerlyman hand press(can be mounted to)before those others.
(as the other poster mentioned i think - i have most of mine mounted on short pieces of 2x8,s so i can move them if i want to elsewhere& clamp them to a desk or table etc )

Sounds like yer all set tho Tom have fun& injoy.

Quick Reply: Made the decision; Now Need Help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.