Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

How Do You Get?

Old 06-26-2006, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

Default How Do You Get?

How do you get 75 gr (or more) of RL22 into a 300 WM, Ruger 77? My chamber will take a longer set of the bullet, but my magazine well will not take a longer COL. The longest is 3.395 and I can not get a 180 AB and 75 gr into that cartridge. I have tried compressing it but RL22 does not compress that well. I am using IMR4350 now but I am not happy with it for accuracy. Velocity is good at 3100 fps.
Old 06-26-2006, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: How Do You Get?

I know I have used compressed loads before. But I just can't get that RL22 to compress. But I have made up my mind to get it to work OK. I read all over the place about others using RL22 with 180 and even 200 gr bullets.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:07 PM

As stated before, use the drop tube. In addition, once you have your cases charged, take your loading block and hold it to your tumbler while it is running. The resulting vibrations should settle the powder some more.

If this doesn't get you there, do the same thing in two steps...put half of the powder in with a drop tube, vibrate it for a couple of minutes, then do the other half the same way.

What kind of brass are you using? I reload with 180 grain bullets and RL22 in my .300 Winnie and I just don't see how you could be having the problem. I seat mine out a touch further than you, but with 77 grains I still have enough room to hear it shaking. I am using WW brass.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

I use WW cases. My Ruger 77 chamber has plenty of room. Its the mag well that is short. I am going to measure it again tonight and see what I come up with.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 PM
bigcountry

This is pretty odd. I would check my scales, cause you should be able to chuck up to 78gr or more depending how far out you load the bullet.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

This is pretty odd. I would check my scales, cause you should be able to chuck up to 78gr or more depending how far out you load the bullet.
yea deffinately check your scale with some quality check weights thats just crazy, you should beable to easily fit 77 grains into the case with a little room to spare.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also wanted to ask what kind of scale are you using? digital or beam? also whats the make and model? I personally dont trust digital scales for anything other then weighing cases, for powder charges I use only a beam scale. But I have had issues with a hornady beam scale only because the lock nuts on the end of the beam were tampered with and no matter what I did the scale was always off by 2 to 3 grains.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Try some IMR 7828 SSC! It might work better in large doses.....
Old 06-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

Also wanted to ask what kind of scale are you using? digital or beam? also whats the make and model? I personally dont trust digital scales for anything other then weighing cases, for powder charges I use only a beam scale. But I have had issues with a hornady beam scale only because the lock nuts on the end of the beam were tampered with and no matter what I did the scale was always off by 2 to 3 grains.
I use a Lyman-Ohaus M5 scale. It is old (1968), but still is as accurate as ever.......
Old 06-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I use an RCBS digital scale. I have checked it many times and it is right on. The problem is my mag well in my Ruger is the limiting factor. (3.390) Last night I measued out 75.4 gr of RL 22 into a 300 WM case and just eye-balled it. The top of the powder was well below the shoulder and I should not have any problem seating a 180 AB. I'll load one up tonight and see what happens.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.