Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Help with .300 Wby!!!!!! >

Help with .300 Wby!!!!!!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Help with .300 Wby!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2002, 06:48 PM
Spike

Default Help with .300 Wby!!!!!!

I have a .300 WBY that I use for deer hunting. I know that it is a little overkill, but it was a gift from my Dad and thats why I stick with it. What brand and round do you suggest. The deer in my area are up to 225 lbs. and the farthest that I would shoot would be 300 yds. and that would be rare! I have currently been using Wby. brand in 165 gr. ballistic tip, but I am not satisfied with the accuracy that I get. Any help would be appreciated!!!!!
Old 10-31-2002, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with .300 Wby!!!!!!

Federal 180 gr. Nosler Partition HE, Federal 180 gr. Trophy Bonded HE, Federal 180 Sierra GameKing BTSP, Hornady 180 gr. SP, Speer 180 gr. Grand Slam, or Remington 180 gr. PSP Core-Loct. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Barnes X handloads in mine and can group them into an inch at 100 yards. What year is the rifle?

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-01-2002, 06:21 AM
Spike

I have often wondered what year it is? How can I tell? I know that it is at least 12 years old. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-01-2002, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess the first thing I'd do is check the rifle over thoroughly. Make sure the action screws and scope mounts are tight. Next thing is to make sure the bore is clean, I mean really clean. Clean all the copper and powder fouling out. Then you have a good platform to start with.

As far as ammo is concerned I handload, so I don't know much about the factory stuff. However, my .300 Wby usually does best with a flat based bullet. The 180 gr. Speer Grand Slam has been extremely accurate in my rifle. I've shot one hole groups with that bullet. You should be able to find Speer Nitrex ammo for it. Also, I think Weatherby loads a round using the 180gr. Hornady Spire Point. That's another one I would try.

Old 11-01-2002, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rifles prior to and including 1972 (ballpark) were made in Germany. If it says made in Germany on it, it's probably older than 1972. If it says made in Atascadero, California on it, it's probably newer. My Weatherby is newer and shoots great. The rate of twist is different on the older German models. I think they had trouble stablilizing long, heavy bullets. Ask on the GUN forum. More people will respond there.

Scott Meier
White Oak Lodge
Old 11-03-2002, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

It may not be the rifle that is the problem.I have a 300 Weatherby with a fiber stock on it,and was having a problem getting good groups. I was the one that was flinching from the recoil. Sent the rifle off and had it Magna-Ported, now my groups are around 1inch and the rifle kicks about the same as my Rem 700 adl in 270 win. Zeak
Old 11-04-2002, 10:13 PM
rg1

Check the stock to see if it is touching the barrel at any point. Slide a dollar bill between the stock and barrel and move it along. My .300 accuracy deteriorated and I found the wood had warped and was touching the barrel along the right side of the barrel. Accuracy with 150 gr flat base Hornady Spire points went from less than an inch at 100 to an inch and a half plus. I scraped wood from the stock to give clearance and resealed the wood and accuracy came back. My .300 is from the Japanese era 1980's. My Weatherby stock is freefloated the entire length of the barrel except for a pad that the barrel rests on that is at the bottom and just behind the rosewood end piece on the stock. Weatherby told me at this time that the barrel is pulled down against this pad with a few inch pounds of force. When you tighten the stock screws into the action the barrel is pulled down onto this pad. Weatherby said at this time that this gives the best accuracy. Also check the stock screws to make sure they are snug. Weatherby gave me the torque number to use but I don't have this info now. Do not remove the pad that the barrel rests on. This is there for a reason. As I said the barrel should not touch the wood except for this pad. I agree that flat-based bullets give the best accuracy.