Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

8mm

Old 06-03-2006, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 8mm

ORIGINAL: SCOTT78

Thanks for the info so far guys it been great. His is a WWII era 98 and he bought the barrel and the action in the early 70's for like next to nothing and made a stock for it. He has reloaded for it before.It uses the .323 bullet. i am just looking for some powder and bullet combos that may work nicely for elk
I use 200-grain bullets in my 8X60RS with 58 grains of RE22, for a MV of 2450 FPS. I believe by reducing the starting charge weight to 51-52 grains and working up to the level where you are getting 2400 FPS or slightly more, up to perhaps 2500 and use either the 200 grain Nosler Partition or Accubond bullets, you would have an excellent elk load.

In my 8X60, my 58-grain load pretty much fills the case, but isquite mild. Low pressure isessential for my rifle,an old J.P. Sauer SXS double that cannot stand pressures much over 40,000 PSI. For this reason, I stick to slow powders. In a strong action like a goodMauser or Remington 700, one could use powders like IMR 4895, IMR 4064, or IMR 4320 and load to perhaps as much as 2600FPS, if top loads were approached with caution and care.....
Old 06-05-2006, 08:04 AM
DM

I use 200 NP's in my 8x57jrs and i'm quite happy with the way it performs. I've only recovered (2) bullets so far in over 20 years of useing them in this gun. I prefer to have exit wounds from my bullets with good expansion.

I shot a coyote at close to 300 yards and the bullet apeared to open a bit, and i also hit a big moose at 150 yards two times andboth bullets exited doing plenty of damage. That's all i can ask for in any bullet.

Iharvested the buck in the pict. last fall at 200 yards useing this combo..

Drilling Man

Old 06-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice Buck DM.
Old 06-19-2006, 06:49 PM
DM

Thanks James,

The best part of the hunt was that i talked my father into sitting with me in my blind that day. He can't see well enough to hit at long range anymore, and a close shot from my blind would be very rare. Anyway, he got pretty excited when i dropped that buck!! He's 93 now, and who knows how many more hunts he will beable to go on??

The pict. below is the view from my deer blind...

Drilling Man

Old 06-20-2006, 06:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DM

Thanks James,

The best part of the hunt was that i talked my father into sitting with me in my blind that day. He can't see well enough to hit at long range anymore, and a close shot from my blind would be very rare. Anyway, he got pretty excited when i dropped that buck!! He's 93 now, and who knows how many more hunts he will beable to go on??

The pict. below is the view from my deer blind...

Drilling Man

That's beautiful!!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

I echo James B's thoughts.......... That's one beautiful watch point. Don't have many like that here in PA. anymore.........seems that there's always a house or mobile home in the backround somewhere nowadays. I envy you. Hope your Dad can continue to be with you for awhile yet. My father hunted out at my place until he was 82. His healt failed him after that, but he always called in the evening to see how the day went.
Good huntin'............