Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 new to reloading which brass >

new to reloading which brass

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

new to reloading which brass

Old 05-21-2006, 07:37 AM

Default new to reloading which brass

I am new to reloading and i wanted to know which brass is good to use. Is one brand really better than another?
Old 05-21-2006, 08:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: new to reloading which brass

scott, ive been reloading for quite a while and i usually get remington or winchester brass. these two usually hold up better than the off brands. federal brass is good too. if you want the best get norma but you will pay more for it. good luck with your reloading and please be careful.
Old 05-21-2006, 05:02 PM
bigcountry

Scott, I usually stick with remington or winchester. Usually because of availability and I get once fired free sometimes from ranges. I like federal but it only last maybe 3 fires before primer pocket becomes loose, but its more consistent and softer than the rest. Norma or Lapura are probably the best but you pay for it. I heard the Nosler brass is A1 but you pay even more.

There is some fine brass out there I like Starline I like for straightwall.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:16 PM

Lapua seems to be better than Norma and is cheeper, compared to Rem and Win the price of Lapua is worth every penny. To me the whole purpose of reloading is to improve over factory ammo, so why use crappy brass!!! Hornady claimes to have top quality brass but it doesn't help when they don't have the calibers I need. Nosler may have some good brass but I haven't tried it yet. The thing that catches my attention most is how someone will pay $40-$60 for a box of 20 factory cartriges and then skimp on component brass. Just weigh some of them and you'll see the difference!! I know that Black Hills uses Winchester brass in their match ammo but I suspect it's a better variety than we buy for home use, like the difference between match bullets and plinking bullets.
Old 05-21-2006, 08:35 PM
bigcountry

why buy that expensive brass when its not needed? If your getting subMOA accuracy, its a moot point, unless your one of those folks that "well its more expensive so its better".

Let me tell ya, theres alot more than buying expensive stuff in making straight ammo. Only experience will show that.

Old 05-21-2006, 10:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

why buy that expensive brass when its not needed?
My thoughts, too. For my .223, 100 brass costs about:

[ul][*]$40 for Lapua[*]$64 for Norma[*]$45 for Nosler[/ul]
The same brass in Winchester or Remington costs me $12. I still get sub-MOA groups when I do my part. For hunting, trying to tighten groups another .05" is trivial. And when I'm hunting, I lose brass, especially when trying to make a quick follow up shot or shoot multiple targets. For what I do, the only thing buying more expensive brass would do for me is lighten my wallet.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington. Good luck.
Old 05-21-2006, 11:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

why buy that expensive brass when its not needed?[/blockquote]

My thoughts, too. For my .223, 100 brass costs about:

[ul][*]$40 for Lapua[*]$64 for Norma[*]$45 for Nosler[/ul]

The same brass in Winchester or Remington costs me $12. I still get sub-MOA groups when I do my part. For hunting, trying to tighten groups another .05" is trivial. And when I'm hunting, I lose brass, especially when trying to make a quick follow up shot or shoot multiple targets. For what I do, the only thing buying more expensive brass would do for me is lighten my wallet.
I agree, the remington or winchester brass will do just fine.
Old 05-23-2006, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: handloader1

Remington. Good luck.
Ditto!
Old 05-23-2006, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

The objective of my reloading at this point in time is quality, not quantity. I don't reload enough any more towhere the cost of premium brass is an impediment. I like Lapua best and havebecome very fond of the new Nosler brass also. These brands have been very consistent in terms of wall thickness, weight, etc... I've also hadgood luck with Norma,though now that I don't have the .300 Wby I'll probably only use it for the 7.65mm Mauser.

The most expensive brass I've used is RWS and while it wasvery consistent and of good quality overall, I never liked it much. Itwas more difficult to work with because it was so thick and the primer pockets were tighterthan a pair ofSpeedos on a Sumo wrestler. I've still got some, but I really don't have any desire to ever use it again.

I still like Winchester anduse it for my son's .243.It has always produced good results. However, I never took a liking to Remington. It wastoo inconsistent and out of any particular batch there were always too many pieces thathad to be culled.I haven't usedany in several years now.

Quick Reply: new to reloading which brass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.