Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Pressure signs this early?????? >

Pressure signs this early??????

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Pressure signs this early??????

Old 05-04-2006, 08:52 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Pressure signs this early??????

Your going to have to make you a split neck case and see where the lands are. Its in most manuals how to do it. Do you have any tools like Comparitor to measure the ogive? I suggest loading .02" lower than where it hits since you hare seeing these signs.

Did you have hard bolt lift? Punctured primers? Flat primers alone does not always mean high pressure. Did you trim your cases to min length? Do you have extractor marks on the case? Primers is just one indicator to watch for.

Old 05-04-2006, 09:02 PM
Fork Horn

I have a swiss armyknife, some duct tape, happens to be a gallon of gas here, oh and this match.

I will revisit this thread when I get back home.

Till then
Old 05-04-2006, 10:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get a chrony and clock the loads.....IMO Barnes is out to lunch on this load.

75 Grains RL-22 is too much for a 180 grain monolithic in the 300 Win Mag.

I'm thinking a chronograph will confirm velocity of 3000.....or more.

Just an opinion here.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ShatoDavis
WOOOOH! BACK UP!Those bullets are long, seating them deeper may cause you to have a compressed load which can cause pressures to skyrocket also.
Contrary to popular myth, COMPRESSED powder charges DO NOT cause pressures to "skyrocket"!

As long as the quantity of powder is not excessive for the bullet being used, compressing the charge will not cause significant increases in pressures. Maximum pressure occurs after the bullet is at least 4 to 5 inches down the bore ahead of the chamber. Compressed charges are quite acceptable as long as the case shoulder is not bulged by seating the bullet, or the compressed charge does not cause the bullet to come out of the case.
Old 05-06-2006, 06:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

In addition to what has already been suggested here, you might also take one of the fired cases and see if a bullet slides easily into the neck. If not, you have either a tight neck on the chamber or a fat neck on your cases. This will cause pressures to jump pretty good - even on starting loads.
Roscoe has an excellent point here, as a tight neck WILL cause problems. Not too many years back, we had a similar problem with excessive pressures in a .300 Dakota with under-max loads, just like you're having, and the problem turned out to be that the chamber neck was about .002" too tight with the brass we were using. This was corrected by increasing the diameter of the chamber neck.
Old 05-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

A couple excellent posts by Eldeguello.....
compress loads skyrocket pressure???....where did this information come from?????....It's simply not true.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

compress loads skyrocket pressure???....where did this information come from?????....It's simply not true.

ORIGINAL: haugenna

ORIGINAL: RPL

,is it possible that your bullets are seated too long and into the rifling? Pressures will skyrocket!
Thats it. I am shooting Barnes TSX in 180's and those bullets are long. I was crunching powder on a light load.I will load up some that are seated a little deeper. Anyone have the COL of 300 win mag.
WOOOOH! BACK UP!

are you using a Barnes Manual? Because I've found that standard reloading manuals are inadequate when using the x bullet.Using loads out of theNoslermanual for partition of ballistic tip bullets when loadingx bullets isDANGEROUS. Those bullets are long, seating them deeper may cause you to have a compressed load which can cause pressures to skyrocket also.

http://www.barnesbullets.com/tsxguidelines.php

Does anyone have a Barnes manual? Please look up the starting load for a 300 win. loading 180gr. X bullets and post it here.
Vapo, it came from here (see bold above).
Old 05-09-2006, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

WOOOOH! BACK UP!Those bullets are long, seating them deeper may cause you to have a compressed load which can cause pressures to skyrocket also.
Contrary to popular myth, COMPRESSED powder charges DO NOT cause pressures to "skyrocket"!

As long as the quantity of powder is not excessive for the bullet being used, compressing the charge will not cause significant increases in pressures. Maximum pressure occurs after the bullet is at least 4 to 5 inches down the bore ahead of the chamber. Compressed charges are quite acceptable as long as the case shoulder is not bulged by seating the bullet, or the compressed charge does not cause the bullet to come out of the case.
Read what I wrote smart @ss. I said "can cause" If you know as much as you pretend to know you know that I'm correct.

Read this next part very carefully!
Compressed loads are not necessarily dangerous. Much depends on the type of powder used and the amount of compression. Generally speaking, compressed loads using slow burning powders are seen frequently in many reloading manuals. Since the overwhelming majority of us do not have the proper test equipment, it is not wise to attempt loads of this kind unless they are obtained from a reputable source. They will be annotated as "compressed" in the text.

I was more concerned that he was using an improper source for his reloading data.

Again, do not attempt compressed loads unless you are absolutely certain of the source. Even then, do not seat the bullet to such an extent that it "crushes" or deforms the propellant in any way.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:11 AM
Fork Horn

UPDATE.

Here's the deal. I was out of town for work in lovely Bend, OR.....as most of you know is the home of Nosler. I got to talking to the folks at the Nosler store by the factory, and we discussed this same issue and did a test on a Tikka 300 Win mag. Well we found out two things. I am no where near the lands because the detachable magazine will not let a bullet get that long. I don't have the measurements in front of me but I was well below the length reaching the lands. Another thing, the bullet sure is seated deep because of that magazine.

So back to the drawing board I go. I am switching to Nosler partitions 165 grains, but let me throw this out, what grain of bullet works best with the 300 WM. It is a tikka t3 lite, 24" barrel with 1-11 twist. Let me know what you all think.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:08 AM
bigcountry

Honestly, I think your overthinking this way too much without doing some of your own homework. Unless you took your gun to nosler and they personally meausred your thoat, your advise from them is about what you paid for it. There is no shortcut for this stuff. You got to do it yourself on your gun. Its not hard, and important you know how to find distance to the lands if you stay in the reloading world. I took my gauges around 4 gun stores once and measured distance to the lands with 3 marked bullets in 300RUM. I got measurements from 3.66" to 3.90". Noslers test was on there guns. Thats the reason thier "accurate" load is 90% of the time not the "accurate" load.

I mean, are you looking for any other pressure signs? Hard bolt lift? Extractor marks? Case head expansion? Well over velocity? It doesn't sound like you ever went back to try find the following? If you have trouble with TSX, your going to have trouble with 165gr partition.

Quick Reply: Pressure signs this early??????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.