Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Better Grouping... Via Reloading >

Better Grouping... Via Reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Better Grouping... Via Reloading

Old 04-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Better Grouping... Via Reloading

I have gotten several replies to my question as to whether or not the 130 grain .270 bullet will be appropiate for killing most any game I intend to hunt. Now my next question is that I took a box of the cheap remington core lok ammo to the range and shot groups the size of a quarter at 100 yards. I want to know if I hand load ammo if I can tighten my group size to around the size of a dime, penny or even less? I intend on using Swift Scirocco bullets or Nosler Ballistic tips. I dont have any idea what powder I will be using so if any of you frequent reloaders have additional insight please help me out! I have been told that when I shoot my rifle I should shoot at a pace of no faster than a shot every 3 minutes... This is to prevent heating of the barrel which in turn effects the accuracy, does this hold any water or is it an old wives tale?I am new to reloading so any information would be helpful
Old 04-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Better Grouping... Via Reloading

I have been told that when I shoot my rifle I should shoot at a pace of no faster than a shot every 3 minutes... This is to prevent heating of the barrel which in turn effects the accuracy, does this hold any water or is it an old wives tale?
I shoot three shot groupsone shotafter the other with all of my rifles and accuracy is not affected.Thisalso includesmy model 7 with the light contour barrel.
As far as the accuracy potential of the rifle is concerned,no person can accurately predict this.Most quality boltriflesare capableof 1" groups are less,but only a very small number will consistantly group 1/2" or better despite the claims made on these forums.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I experimented at the range Saturday with the time between firings. From a cold bore, groups were better, more so for my 25-06 than my .223. With the .223, I got groups just shy of dime-size letting the barrel cool completely between each shot. Groups opened up to about quarter sized after firing all five shots as fast as possible. For the 25-06, groups that were nickel sized before nearly doubled after rapid fire.

Sorry I didn't bring my digital calipers with me this time, so I used the change I had in my pocket.
Old 04-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

"I want to know if I hand load ammo if I can tighten my group size to around the size of a dime, penny or even less?"

Maybe yes, maybe no! A group the size of a quarter is excellent accuracy from a hunting rifle, regardless of the source of the ammo that produced it!

Acarefully assembled, carefully developed handload might be able to beat the "quarter-sized group"performance from your rifle, but thiscannot be guaranteed in advance! And, you might find it easy to work up a load that will do what you want, but it may also be a complete pain in the butt to develop such a handload, and you might have togo thru several different makes and weights of bullets, plus several different powders, before it happens! I've had it happen both ways.