HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Light 45-70 loads? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/135843-light-45-70-loads.html)

Soilarch 03-09-2006 11:45 AM

Light 45-70 loads?

There's plenty of threads in here about favorite 45-70 loads and what people are getting as their max loads. I'm thinking of getting one (probably a marlin guide gun) this summer and was wondering if anyone has had luck making light loads in for 45-70. I've found one load on the net that even uses .457 Hornady round balls and a reamed out flash hole...which the guy said he used for squirrels[&:]!!!

Wondering what people here have come up with. What are some of the bulkier powders that are suitable?

Not looking for squirrel loads, but if you are able to get the levels around a 44mag that would be my target.

HighDesertWolf 03-10-2006 12:11 AM

RE: Light 45-70 loads?

Alliant has a few cowboy loads you might be interested in one of the loads a friend uses for a plinker load in his BFR. its a 405 grain lead cast over 11 grains Unique the book states 1,000 fps for this load from shooting it through my buds BFR id say this velocity is probably about true.

Soilarch 03-10-2006 01:18 AM

Thanks, what I've learned so far is fillers are a no-no, full weight lead casts are a must and the faster burning powders are desireable.

Questions I've come across. One guy said, if I understood him correctly, that he seats the roundballs all the way down on the powder. Other than not feeding through anything well, I can't think of why this wouldn't work...can you? Second guy talked about putting silicone grease into hollow points, is this just childish or what? I know the theory is the same as the polymer tipped varmint bullets but...eh?

Charley 03-10-2006 06:07 AM

One guy said, if I understood him correctly, that he seats the roundballs all the way down on the powder. Other than not feeding through anything well, I can't think of why this wouldn't work...can you?
Works fine. Been working since the 1870s. The military gallery/practice loads were originally made with broken down civilwar surplus revolver cartridges. About 25 grains of FFFg black, a wad, and then the .454 ball seated down on the powder/wad. I use this load now in my trapdoor carbine.

the Razorhead 03-12-2006 07:06 PM

IMR 3031
use the light loads found in Lyman's manual #46

[email protected] 03-13-2006 06:27 PM

Light loads are not a mistery , just look in most any reloading manual and pick the starting loads for the trap door springfield. They are very plesant to shoot,and recoil is generally quiet mild. This is what makes the 45-70 so much fun and also so useful, with a reloading settup you can take them from mild to very powerful,as long as you have the right rifle. You know ( tin cans to cape bufflow).

John Spartan 03-13-2006 11:24 PM

Hi, you might want to check out MarlinOwners.com. A lot of good knowledge there and a lot of discussion about the various loads available.

James B 03-16-2006 05:46 PM

I shoot 13.0 grains of Unique with the 405 grain Cast bullet. It yields about 1200 fps from my 22 inch barrel. Very accurate. I use the Federal Magum rifle primer with this load.