Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Anyone reload for Shotgun? >

Anyone reload for Shotgun?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Anyone reload for Shotgun?

Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 AM
Spike

Default Anyone reload for Shotgun?

It looks like this forum isdevoted to reloading metallic's. I was wonderinif their are any shotshell reloaders out there. I'm looking at buying a new MEC press. I was thinking of a getting a progressive, maybe the Grabber. Anyone have any knowledge to pass on?

John
Old 02-28-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone reload for Shotgun?

Although I reload mostly all rifle cartriges anymore, I used to load a lot of shotgun shells when I shot a lot of trap years ago. I still have my old MEC 650, and really never considered getting rid of it. It is a good progressive press in my mind, and about as simple and trouble-free as they come. I've loaded many thousands of rounds with it.
I'm not familiar with the MEC products of today, but if they are as good as they used to be, it would be a good choice, IMO.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

I have the Mec 650 too. I haven't loaded shot shell in years as I can get factory foder that serves my purpose cheap enough that it isn't worth the time and trouble. If you go for the 650 you'll need the size master too s the 650 doesn't resize the shell ( something I had to learn the hard way) the 850 grabber does resize the shell. Mec makes great products.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

I have had MEC 650, Grabbers and 3000G, all were ok presses.I still use a 650 for my 20 ga. loads and a Hornady 360 for 12 ga. If you can actually look at the presses side by side I think you will see the difference in the way they are made. The Hornady is a machine compared to the stamped parts on MEC. I have had one for over 10 years.
Old 02-28-2006, 09:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't reloadanymore because I don't shoot enough, but I have a MEC Sizemaster and have loaded thousands of rounds with it. I also had a MEC 9000G, but I am not coordinated enough for a progressive.
Old 03-10-2006, 11:55 AM

I have loaded on several brands of shotgun presses over the years - Mec, PW, Pacific, Hornady. In my opinion, the Mec machines are hard to beat. They are relatively inexpensive, and they last forever. They are not the prettiest machines one the market, but they do make some nice looking loads. Currently, I have two Sizemasters - one in 12 and one in 20 gauge. I also have a 12 gauge 9000G.

I like using the progressive machine for target loads. It is certainly faster than the single stage machines, but you need to pay close attention to what you are doing. One mistake can take several minutes to rectify and clean up.

I like the single stage machines for loading hunting loads, especially those with large shot sizes. Sometimes the larger-sized shot will "bridge" in the shot drop tube (especially in the smaller gauges). When you are loading one at a time this is an easy mistake to catch and quickly remedy. On a progressive machine, I don't always catch this, until it's too late. What a mess!
Old 03-11-2006, 02:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used to always use a Mec 600 JR. It always turned out a great shell, but it was sloooow. I used to shoot lots of trap like the other guys and finally gave up loading my own after some of the cheaper shells hit the market. I still like to work up a good pheasant load every once in a while, nothing like a screaming load of 5s chasing down a rooster
Old 03-13-2006, 04:30 AM

I've loaded shotshells for a number of years, mainly because I liked to have my loads consistant and I enjoyed doing it. I no longer hunt small game and have found the cheap promo loads good enough for target shooting so I'm about done and will be selling my stuff as soon as I run out of components.

I've used a few different loaders but MEC has served me well. Stay away from the 650, as other have said it does not size the brass. I presently use 9000gs in 20 & 12 and the only negative comment about them is that about once in 500 I may get a primer failing to fall especially on the 20ga for some reason. With shot costs @20.00/bag++, you won't be saving much money, I can by 1 1/8oz Remingtons for 33.00/flat and they work fine..

Doug
Old 03-13-2006, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I started reloading shotshell when I was 14 and the local stores would not sell me ammo but would sell me components.
I started with a MEC 650 and think MEC machines are the best bang for the buck, Before getting married I moved up to a P/W which has served me quite well.
I don't mind reloading shotshells but do not enjoy it as much as metalic reloading. Possibly because of the satisfaction of targets with small groups that comes from rifle/pistol shooting
Old 03-13-2006, 06:20 AM

I have been reloading shotshells for over 20 years now.
I used to reload for the cost savings but not any more because
unless you buy componentsin large amounts as some of the gents on here do there is no savings to speak of. Average savings I found(.03 per box savings waste of time.).
I still reload most on my hunting rounds as with any gun it has pet loads.
You can how ever save a lot of money reloading steel or buffered loads.
The cost to get started loading these is a little high so unless you shoot a lot of them cost effectiveness is not there.

Quick Reply: Anyone reload for Shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.