Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Lee dies messing up? >

Lee dies messing up?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Lee dies messing up?

Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Lee dies messing up?

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

If I read right, somewhere, the whole "floating decapping pin" design was to keep you breaking them. In which case the pin would only need to travel 'up' away from the case...why didn't Lee put a lip on the top of the pin to keep it from pulling 'down' and out through the die? Oh well, if I can't get things to work out I guess I'll send it in. There carbine pistol dies were/are doing great. I'll pick up some different lube too, been using the Lee lube that came with the hand press.

Thanks guys

that lee lube is ok not really all that good, Id get some rcbs case lube or better yet get some One Shot case lube.
Old 02-28-2006, 06:28 PM

I'm a little lost as to what is happening with your dies. Is your decapping pin pulling out or is your expander stem whats coming out? I have 4 sets of lee dies and love them, never a problem of any kind.Are you having trouble with just one brand of brass, If so could the flash holes in your brass be undersize. As for case lube I like Dillon's in the pump spray bottle. I don't lube anything I can size with Lee's collet size dies, one mess I don't have to deal with. I've replaced my RCBS press with a Lee 4 hole turret,and I have a Lee hand press,and I'm very satisfied with both of them.I've got a set of RCBS dies in 30-06 and the decapping pin was so out of center I had to insert a screwdriver into the die body and bend the stem to center it up ,so I dont like them very much!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 PM

Okay, I think I got the issue under control but here is exactly what is happening:

I feed the case up into the die. The pin that de-primes the case fits into the neck and flash hole just fine. However, when I try to take case out of the die the bulge in the "pin" as I'm calling it (the bulge that makes sure the inside neck diameter is acceptable) gets stuck...so much so that it yanks the pin (the 'bulge' and pin are same piece of metal) right out of the die. I'm left with a case with pin stuck in it that has to be wiggled out of the neck.

A little clearer?[&:]
Old 03-01-2006, 08:36 PM

Of the 8 or 10 sets of lee dies I've used I had one that would slip. I used some 100 grit sand paper and scuffed the top of the "pin". That fixed it right up.
Old 03-02-2006, 02:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: biggunz.45-70

Of the 8 or 10 sets of lee dies I've used I had one that would slip. I used some 100 grit sand paper and scuffed the top of the "pin". That fixed it right up.
thats a good idea I might try that sometime
Old 03-03-2006, 03:55 AM

Sounds to me like you have a dirty set of dies & it is making the neck to small
Have you tried cleaning them???????????
Case lube will build up in a die then dry after some time & lee lube is noted for it.