HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Shell's too long? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/133689-shells-too-long.html)

Onesock 02-20-2006 09:24 AM

Shell's too long?

I have a 444 Marlin. The lever was really hard to close for the last 1/4 inch. Reloaded some shell last nite and tried them in gun. Screwed up and made one a little too short. The bolt closed like silk. Troed factory loads and still hard too close. Measured factory loads after chambering one and found the bullet had been pushed in a bit. Anyone ever find factory loads too long?

bigcountry 02-20-2006 09:41 AM

RE: Shell's too long?

Holy Cow, never on a lever or straightwalled case. Lots of things you can check. Did you trim your brass? Is bullet loaded COL longer than SAAMI specs?

Perform the split case technique. Find out where the bullet hits the rifling. Are you crimping. Are you belling too much. Goodness, that a first for me.

I have a older 700 in 7mm08 that you have to seat real deep. Alot of factory loads are too long. But I like it that way myself. It shoots awesome. But its rare to see levers like that.

Ought Six 02-20-2006 11:00 AM

Sounds like your chamber is a might small. I would take this rifle to a gunsmith and have him check it out. A small chamber on a leveraction could cause problems when reloading. Actually, it can cause problems with any action. Be very careful about apporaching listed max loads as they may be too hot for your particular rifle.

bigcountry 02-20-2006 11:09 AM

but 06, how would a small chamber on a straightwalled case push the bullet back?

charlie brown 02-20-2006 04:00 PM

but 06, how would a small chamber on a straightwalled case push the bullet back?
A really short chamber? Remember that a bullet is the diameter of the grooves in the barrel, so the bullet must be contacting the rifling and pushing it back into the case. I would say the chamber is cut WAY short.

bigcountry 02-20-2006 04:14 PM

I agree charlie, only way it could be happening. I thought he was saying the diameter of the chamber not the cut to the rifling. But this is a rare thing if this is happenign. A lever usually has a whole lot of freebore.

Big Guy01 02-20-2006 08:13 PM

Ifthis happening with factory loaded ammo and not reloads. I would say the chamber is too short or the factory loads are too long. Measure the factory loads to make sure they are not too long. If it is reloads sticking I would say you didn't full length resize the entire case. Re-set your dies in your press.

Ought Six 02-20-2006 08:53 PM

I agree charlie, only way it could be happening. I thought he was saying the diameter of the chamber not the cut to the rifling. But this is a rare thing if this is happenign. A lever usually has a whole lot of freebore.
Ok, let me clarify...

It sound like the overall length of the chamber is too short.

bigcountry 02-20-2006 10:07 PM

I got ya sorry about that.

Onesock 02-21-2006 08:56 AM

Maximun overall length is 2.57in and 2.56in work perfectly in my gun. Do you think this is a problem? Hope not as the gun really shoots!