HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Remington Brass (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/132946-remington-brass.html)

bigiron 02-14-2006 10:30 AM

Remington Brass

I bought some 300rum and they all had little dents all over them I didnt think it would be a problem so I shot a few and now they are smooth as silk is this ok to do

trailer 02-14-2006 10:59 AM

RE: Remington Brass

I can’t see a problem. The brass is now formed to your chamber. I had the same thing with my 350 Rem. Mag. and haven’t had any problems...

James B 02-14-2006 02:44 PM

Should be fine. This is not unusual with new brass.

bigcountry 02-14-2006 02:54 PM

The 300RUM brass for some reason is in real bad shape compared to all the other brass I get. I imagine its due to the size of it. I bet it takes twice the material to make 300RUM over say 7mm-08.

But I use to complain alot about it. Nothin you can do. Usually neck thickness varied from .012" to .018". Thats horrible. That caused bad runout. Some like the federal brass at D&R sports better. But you have to buy in bulk.

Pretty well, winchester and remington brass is junk these days in my opinion.

trailer 02-14-2006 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

That caused bad runout.
I’ve heard this term before but what the heck is that ?

bigcountry 02-14-2006 06:02 PM

Well, if you roll your loaded round, you might see your bullet wobble. .003" or less at the Ogive is fine, but it gets harry after that. If your brass thickness isn't uniform at the neck, you will get runout.

Usually if you run your brass thru the FL die without the expander and test the neck runout, there will be none. If there is any, you better question your die or shellholder. And then you can run your expander thru from the top (this usually causes less runout than pulling it thru), and test again. Pulling your expander ball thru usually causes the runout to be worse. Thats the reason you need to lube the inside necks well. Here is where the collet die from lee shines.

trailer 02-14-2006 07:23 PM

Something I’m going to start looking for. Thanks for the info...:eek:

bigcountry 02-14-2006 07:42 PM

Trailer don't down that road too far brother. Its kinds like going hunting and thinking its a good idea to go straight down this mountain cause it doesn't look too far. You might see something but good chance you won't. Your going to end up getting concentricity gauges, neck thickness gauge, neck turning mandrels, neck expanders. It really sucked the fun out of reloading.

Here is all you need to do. Roll your ammo on a flat surface. You will be able to detect .005" or more.

trailer 02-14-2006 07:55 PM

No I’m not going to far but I already rolled some of my loads and they looked real good. Thanks...

eldeguello 02-16-2006 07:50 PM

ORIGINAL: bigiron

I bought some 300rum and they all had little dents all over them I didnt think it would be a problem so I shot a few and now they are smooth as silk is this ok to do
Yes it is. Any make of brass that's dumped in-bulk into a plastic bag can arrive with some dents and flattened necks..... Just open the neck mouths, trim to correct length if necessary, chamfer the mouths, and load 'em up.....