Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Cleaning Brass

Old 01-14-2006, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

Default Cleaning Brass

Whats a good way to clean your empty brass ?

Is it better to clean the brass before or after,
You deprime it ?

Thank You
Old 01-14-2006, 08:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Cleaning Brass

I tumble my brass before decapping. I have never had any problems associated with dirty pirmer pockets
Old 01-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Fork Horn

Same here but, after I de-prime I clean the primmer pockets with a primmer pocket cleaner, some others will tumble again.
Old 01-15-2006, 12:12 PM
bigcountry

While we are on it. Which media do you guys use? I have been using corncob for years. But always get this dirty look after they sit for a while. I think the oils from the corncob is the problem. anybody esle use walnut? Does it do the same thing?

Old 01-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Fork Horn

I deprime and use the liquid. Absolutely look like new and seem to stay that way. Inside and out.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always lube my cases with Hornady One Shot, resize and deprime then put in my tumbler (walnut shells) for about one hour. Then I clean the primer pockets and flashhole.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

I deprime and use the liquid
Could you please give details?
What is the liquid used ?
And where can you get it ?

Thank You
Old 01-16-2006, 10:28 AM
bigcountry

I know some guys that use brasso and dish detergent. They then dry in oven. I always thought it was too much work. So still use tumbler.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

soaking your brass in some white vinigar will clean em up pretty nice... for me i resize and deprime.. then toss em in the tumbler with a mixture of walnut and corncob media.. sometimes i'll add some polish... i always clean primer pockets with a brush, just to clear em out and make sure no media is lodged in the flash hole... mine don't seem to tarnish up FWIW... but most of my brass is nickel plated... cept the 35 Whelen AI...
Old 01-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Fork Horn

I deprime and resize, use the RCBS liquid in my wet tumbler, rinse, shake out, set on tray in oven at 140 for about 15 minutes. Very easy and does a great job. Used to use cobs, tooo much mess and time, and didn't do near as nice of a job. I'm sure any liguid brass cleaner probably uses the same major ingredient. Tumbler is the RCBS Sidewinder.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Brass

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.