Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 "Hot" 300Savage??? >

"Hot" 300Savage???

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

"Hot" 300Savage???

Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 PM

Default "Hot" 300Savage???

Don't ask why, just one of those "ramblin thoughts through my otherwise deranged head" but how hot (safely) can one load a 130Triple Shock up in a 300Savage with a 22" barrel? And would a Savage 99 safely hold it?

Just axin,
RA
Old 12-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: "Hot" 300Savage???

I am by no means a reloading guru but I am going to advise you against loading "hot" in the 99. Being that it has a rear locking bolt it is suceptable to damage from excessive pressure.

A perfect example is a 99 that is in the shop right now. It is chambered in 358 Winchester. The customer, who is a regular there, loaded his very hot firing a 200 grain bullet well over 2600 fps. He claimed that he was grouping 5/8ths of an inch at 100 yards but the at the expense of bending his bolt. Now he can't set about half of his primers off due to the firing pin rubbing on one side of its hole through the bolt body.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:17 PM

The 300 sav. is a great little cartridge,but in a Lever action,pump,or auto loading up "HOT" rounds is only suggested for the bolt action. All the actions i mentioned are not made to handle the added pressures of "HOT" rounds. They just weren,t made for the needed strenght in the actions. Be happy with just as it is. vangunsmith
Old 12-14-2005, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can use a 130 gr. XTS, but you have to stay with in Barnes published data. Good luck.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

I really like the 99 Savage, owning a .300 and a .358 in the '60's. However, the rear wedge blocking bolt does not lend itself to hot loads. I never had any trouble with the .300, since chamber pressure in most manual loads wasrelatively low.The .358, however, when loaded to nearmanual max, would stretch cases so badly that about 3 loads was the most I could get without head separation. I had the chamber and headspace checked, and the only thing we could attribute this to was that the chamber pressure, being much higher than the .300 was allowing the bolt lockup to "spring". I used it quite a bit,because the accuracy andhandiness of that 99 plus the fact that the .358 killed like lightning made it my favorite at the time.