Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Accubond sucess UPDATE!!!!!!! >

Accubond sucess UPDATE!!!!!!!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Accubond sucess UPDATE!!!!!!!

Old 11-29-2005, 05:30 AM

Default RE: Accubond sucess!!!!

ORIGINAL: trailer

Good job mossy, I have taken 3 deer with my 140 gr. Accubond reloads this year with good results. The bullet passed thru on all the deer with some meat lost but never had any gaping holes.
Hello Trailer. Did the deer run any? Were there blood trails? What was the rifle, MV and ranges? How much meat loss?

I shot a big buck last year with my 7X57 with a 139gr Hornady SST at 2900'/sec at 100 yards. The bullet went through the 10 ring and out the other side like a hot knife thru butter. The buck did a 180 and started heading back for the neighbors woods and I shot him again with exactly the same results. The buck almost made it to the fence line when he expired. Most of the vitals were jibbered.

This year, I shot one doe so far with my 7 Mag at 140 yards using a 140gr Nosler BT at 3160'/sec. The shot was a 10 ring, the doe roached up and streaked 60-70 yards did a 360 spin and died. There was no blood trail.

I am not using SST's or Nosler BT's or Combined Tech silver tips again. My son shoots a 150gr Sierra pro hunter in his '06 and the deer just die in a heap. I'm going to switch to Sierra's next year and give them a try.

Deer running 60 yards with no blood trail after being shot with a 180 accubond really bother me. Maybe these premium bullets are not so hot after all????? I would be very interested inseeing more bullet performance data on these boards. So far the trends I've read and my experience do not bode well for these high priced bullets. Regards, Rick.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:56 AM
bigcountry

There is just way too many varibles to say that premiums are not cracked up to be what thought. I think he mentioned that the insides were totally demolished.

I have seen deer drop where they stand, deer hit thru the heart and run 100 yards. Seen deer's belly grazed and its guts falling out running. 80% of em will only make it 30 yards or less. But then there's the wierd few. Last year, I blew the heart almost completely out of a doe and she made over 50 yards.

People put way too pressure on bullets to do the job. I think stubble on here shoots BT's at super large game.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:40 AM

Thanks Mossy. You have to admit, personal results are what it's all about. Your initial report did raise a few eyebrows and shooting a 300 RUM myself, I did start to wonder how a 180 grain bullets wouldn't exit a deer at 80 yards. I would have thought that even a Texas heart shot with the 300 at 80 yards, would have pushed a bullet thru. Just more evidence that proper bullet for the game hunted and rifle used is key. Thanks again.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:16 PM

So let's see here . . . you went from being pretty happy with the bullet's performance when you thought there was going to be an expanded slug in the deer's shoulder, to somewhat unhappy when it was determined the bullet exited. Sounds like everything worked just fine. Deer wasdown and dead inside of 100 yards. Not a tremendous amount of bloodshot meat and tissue damage. The alternative would have been to use a faster expanding bullet like the Ballistic Tip, Sierra BT,or the SST - which would have destroyed the front quarter of the deer and may not have killed any quicker. I think the subject line says is all: "Accubond Success".
Old 11-29-2005, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mossy33oak

In conclusion I guess the accubond performed like I thought it would. It did not open very much if any, just penciling the deer, I guess shot placement was key here, concidering I went through the heart, lung, and broke the front leg. I will not use this bullet/gun combination on MD whitetail again, it is definatly NOT designed for 100-150# deer. Iguess we all knew that didnt we? Oh well, had to find out right????
So let's see here . . . you went from being pretty happy with the bullet's performance when you thought there was going to be an expanded slug in the deer's shoulder, to somewhat unhappy when it was determined the bullet exited. Sounds like everything worked just fine.
maybe you took me out of context Roskoe? Because what I was trying to say when I typed was that after finding out it did exit the deer with minimal expansion that it performed the way it should. Proving that this bullet is more on the heavy side for our puny lil MD deer. I feel sure if I had a broadside shot and didnt hit the shoulder that I would have been looking alot further for the deer. And by saying Accubond success I was mainly referring to MY success with harvesting 2 deer.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:39 PM

I see your point. Maybe save that load in that caliber for elk. I don't think you are going to find too many 180 grain .30 caliber bullets that would stay in a deer that size on a broadside shot. The 110 gr. Accubond in a .25-06, however,might beideal for eastern whitetails - although I would bet it would exit as well.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

I see your point. Maybe save that load in that caliber for elk. I don't think you are going to find too many 180 grain .30 caliber bullets that would stay in a deer that size on a broadside shot. The 110 gr. Accubond in a .25-06, however,might beideal for eastern whitetails - although I would bet it would exit as well.
funny you should say that.....I was at my bench last night doing the prework to load that very bullet. It is hard to find data for it since Noslers fifth edition doesnt have it listed. From what Ive seen on accurate reloading .com the IMR 7828 seems like the place to start. Apparently 3100 fps can be acheived with it (dunno about accuracy yet) but that should make that a flat shootin deer whopper!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: 48thguns

Hello Trailer. Did the deer run any? Were there blood trails? What was the rifle, MV and ranges? How much meat loss?

Lets see if I can answer your questions.

My rifles are both Sako 75 and one is the 270 WSM and the other is the 7mm-08. With the 140 gr. Accubond bullets I was able to achieve speed of 3050 fps with my 270 WSM and 2650 fps with my 7mm-08. This is not text book speed but actual speeds with my chrono.

Out of all three deer one dropped on the spot when I clipped her high in the shoulders with my 270 WSM. The second deer gave me a broad side shot at about 40 yards and I shot her in the ribs with my 270 WSM. She took off in a flash after hitting her. When I got to the location where I had hit her there was some hair and little blood but after her first or second stride the blood trail was good. By the time I got to where she was down being about 40 yards from where I shot her, the blood was very easy to follow although I was tracking her in the fresh white snow.

The third deer was shot with my 7mm-08. The doe gave me some what of a broad side shot at about a distance of 50 yards. When I hit her she took a leap and took off in a flash. I had also hair and a small blood trail from where I had hit her. This blood trail was also easy to follow in the snow and within no time found her at about 40 yards from where she had been hit. As for meat loss, I find it was minimal being that they were all broad side shots.

Two years ago I had shot a good size buck with 7 mm Rem. Mag with 160 gr. Sierra game king bullet. The shot was no further then 30 feet and I shot him low in the ribs. Lucky he didn’t go far because the bullet never passed thru and was lodges in between the hide and the meat with no blood trail at all. I was very surprised at the results being that it was the all mighty 7 mm Rem. Mag. The bullet performed as it should being that it mushroomed perfectly. So even with the big guns, things can go wrong.

In conclusion, I’m satisfied with the Accubonds and will use them next year hoping to improve on my groups.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

trailer, sounds like you and I are hunting in the same spot!! I have all these "long range" guns and all of my shots are under 100 yrds.....maybe Ill just go back to the 30-30 I have only ever hunted one place (one time) with a friend where I could shoot 200-300 yrds. I shot a doe with my 7mmremmag at 262 yrds with a factory Win Silvertip. But other than that I never get to utilize my 300 yrd practice. Oh well one day I will get out west.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:08 PM

This is an Accubond 140 grain from my 7mm-08 that entered near the center of the neck passing through the rib cage and I found on the opposite side of entry just under the hide at the rear of the ribs. The whitetail buck was quartering hard toward me at around 60 yards. Not real clear, but you get the idea. Oh yea, the buck dropped at the shot and no blood.

Quick Reply: Accubond sucess UPDATE!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.