Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 mixing rifle powder? >

mixing rifle powder?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

mixing rifle powder?

Old 10-15-2005, 06:04 AM

Default mixing rifle powder?

Im looking for some input on mixing rifle powder.Would it be alright to mix reloader22 when both have the same lot numbers?Would this have any effect on accuracy or any other variables?Will be loading for my 7mm ultramag. thanks!
Old 10-15-2005, 08:41 AM

Default RE: mixing rifle powder?

I would say DON'T do this. It MAY be ok, in the end, with the SAME lot numbers, but conventional wisdom indicates that there could be differences in burn rate (and pressure produced) between containers of the same powder. If loading a MILD load, well below maximum, it might not be too much of a risk. However, with handloading, better safe than sorry, in my view.

Old 10-15-2005, 09:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

It is perfectly acceptable to mix two containers of powder with the same lot #.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:09 AM

It has been my understanding and experience that one can mix lots of the same canister grade powder provided that the lots have the same lot number. I'm assuming you are half way through a batch of brass and ran out of powder? I personally wouldnot have anyhesitation about opening another can of powder with the same lot number and continuing on. Might want to load a couple with the new lot first - and compare them with a couple of the first lot - maybe over the chronograph.

I don't think I would open three one pound cans of the same lot number and mix them together, though. Keep them sealed as long as possible.
Old 10-16-2005, 08:00 PM
bigcountry

I have and did. No change for me.

You know guys this annoys me. I will build a load for gun and it shoots great for months, same velocity. Then you buy another can and all the sudden, velocity drops by 50fps consistently. Maybe the rifle. But I have seen this several times. Espeically with RL25.

Old 10-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I have and did. No change for me.

You know guys this annoys me. I will build a load for gun and it shoots great for months, same velocity. Then you buy another can and all the sudden, velocity drops by 50fps consistently. Maybe the rifle. But I have seen this several times. Espeically with RL25.
That is why once I develop a load,I buy at least 5 lbs of powder and usually more of the same lot#.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:19 AM
bigcountry

Yea, I agree. Its a big investment but worth it for keystone powders to buy in 8lb containers.

Like IMR4350, or RL22 or H1000.

Old 10-18-2005, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ultramags

Im looking for some input on mixing rifle powder.Would it be alright to mix reloader22 when both have the same lot numbers?Would this have any effect on accuracy or any other variables?Will be loading for my 7mm ultramag. thanks!
IF you have two 1-pound cans of a given powder and both are from the same lot, andyou used up most of one can then dumped what was left into the full can, you are NOT actually mixing powders. If they are from the same lot, they are exactly the same powder. If would be no different than if you had purchased a 2-pound container of that powder to begin with.....
Old 10-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Roskoe

It has been my understanding and experience that one can mix lots of the same canister grade powder provided that the lots have the same lot number. I'm assuming you are half way through a batch of brass and ran out of powder? I personally wouldnot have anyhesitation about opening another can of powder with the same lot number and continuing on. Might want to load a couple with the new lot first - and compare them with a couple of the first lot - maybe over the chronograph.

I don't think I would open three one pound cans of the same lot number and mix them together, though. Keep them sealed as long as possible.
Samelotnumberis SAME LOT, NOT new lot. Same lot of powder-different cans. To be a new lot, the lot numbers would have to be different.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Same lot is same lot. You can mix them at will with no problems.

Quick Reply: mixing rifle powder?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.