Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Swift and Barnes how long to fouling? >

Swift and Barnes how long to fouling?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Swift and Barnes how long to fouling?

Old 08-20-2005, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default Swift and Barnes how long to fouling?

Just ordered both Barnes TSXand Swift Scirocco in 30 cal 165 for the 300 win mag, I'll make a mistake once so I figured I'd try both since I've been debating the two. Used Nosler Btip out of desparation last season on three deer, never liked them but they shoot good. I hear both Swift and Barnesfoul the barrel real good but that doesn't matter as long as they shoot good only takes 20 min to clean the fouling with Sweet's 7.62, how many shots can you get out of these two before it really effects the accuracy?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Swift and Barnes how long to fouling?

I hear both Swift and Barnes foul the barrel real good
I cannot comment on the Barnes.....I haven't tried them. Swifts I have shot and with no problems at all (sciroccos).....mind you only 30 caliber and then in only two guns......300 H&H and .30-06. I fired about 65 rounds from the two rifles looking for a light load for smaller critters like deer.....I had very dismal luck with accuracy on both rifles. I'm not saying they're not accurate.....just in my two experiments.

Anyway fouling wasn't an issue for me so I went back to the old standbys for deer and pronghorns....the Hornady interlock. Damn thing just works and works.

Be your own judge.....I wouldn't let my choice be influenced by a couple folks that claim fouling or accuracy problems.........both these bullets have extensive following and that wouldn't happen if they didn't have good value.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

The sciroccos cause extreme fouling in my 300ultramags in very few shots.Accuracy is also terrible.The tsx shoots much more accurately out of my rifles and fouling is virtually non existant.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 AM
Typical Buck

I agree, I'm excited about using the Swift bullet. I'll judge for myself but a bullet that stays together and shoots like a Btip. 30 cal do not like light loads try a powder with a higher charge weight, something about excesscase capacity just doesn't sit well in 30 cals.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:50 PM

Personally I would sell the Scirroccos too someone that I didn't know. Then I would load up the TSXs and NEVER look back. Don't get me wrong, the 'rockos' ARE good performing bullets, but like was said, they will foul da crap out of your barrel and the TSXs wont plus they will perform better in the field. The rocks were a great alternative too Nosler Ballistic Tips. But now there are many great hunting bullets that will shoot equally as well, work as well or better on game, yet they wont require so much cleanup in the bore.

I would put the TSXs up against anyother hunting bullet with regards too accuracy and as far as terminal performance, ANYTHING from Barnes will be the "standard of comparison".
RA
Old 08-20-2005, 06:05 PM
bigcountry

The scirrocos foul really bad. I mean bad. Almost as bad as TBBC. The swift A-Frames, I have no problem. The TSX are wonderful. Nothing like the plain X bullet. In fact in my 300RUM, it fouled maybe less than a partition.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:08 PM
bigcountry

Stubble, what about that, we are in total agreement. Thats a bad sign.

Old 08-20-2005, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Stubble, what about that, we are in total disagreement. Thats a bad sign.
I disagree with that statement.We are in agreement on the tsx s and sciroccos.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:15 PM
bigcountry

Oops, I meant agreement.

Old 08-20-2005, 09:21 PM

I use the Swift Sciroccos in both my .270 Ackley and .300 Win Mag. Both are exceptionally accurate and neither are particularly prone to fouling. One has a Krieger barrel and the other a Hart, though. Maybe a factory barrel would produce excessive fouling?? These bullets have impressive terminal performance.

The old Barnes X's were about the worst bullet I have ever used for fouling, but they appear to have really improved on that aspect with the introduction of the TSX.

Quick Reply: Swift and Barnes how long to fouling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.