HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Difference in reloading manuals (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/104169-difference-reloading-manuals.html)

FastShootingCarts 06-28-2005 11:36 PM

Difference in reloading manuals

I have both the Nosler number 4 reloading guide and the Lyman 47th reloading handbook.

I am noticing a difference in max loads for different rounds.

One example: .22-250 -Noslerhas 39 grains max load for IMR 4350 @ 3608fps
.22-250 -Lyman has 40 grains max load for IMR 4350 @ 3561fps

As you can see, the max loads differ as does the velocity (no, the velocity is not reversed).

What reloading guide should I go by? What reloading guide doyou use?

Thanks.

thndrchiken 06-29-2005 05:49 AM

RE: Difference in reloading manuals

The age old question, your going to see different numbers in every manual you pick up. Each company uses different sources and equipment to formulate their data. Some loads are never even fired from a gun and chronographed but shot from pressure barrel. Then the lawyers have their say. I will usually take the data from several sources come up with an average and use that as my starting point.

stubblejumper 06-29-2005 06:18 AM

Start outwith some of the manuals starting loads then work up as you watch for pressure signs.The people printing the manual do not have your gun or your components so they can't tell you a maximum load for your rifle.The velocities printed in the manual may also vary a great deal from those that the same load will produce in your rifle.

FastShootingCarts 06-29-2005 09:27 AM

Good points to consider.

A friend of mine has an Ideal reloading manual and I think I'll compare the Nosler, Ideal, and Lyman loads and figure out which load is best keeping in mind the pressure signs. The good thing about both the Lyman and Ideal manuals is you can duplicate (at least they say) factory loads.

bigcountry 06-29-2005 10:02 AM

Alot of people try to live by the manuals. That will either get you bad performance in some situations or dangerous levels.

I have seen guys with flattened primers, extractor marks, and tell me its safe cause some manual has it in there. I just shake my head.

As Sierra says, a manual isn't the rule. Just a guide that shows one man got these results from one gun. It gives you a place to start and a place to start looking for trouble signs.

Every gun is going to be different. Every bullet is going to create different pressures and different velocities. But as a general rule, I use Nosler, Sierra, Lymans, and Speer interchangably. The places you got to be careful is with Scirrocos, failsafes, TBBC, and barnes. I use Barnes data for these.

vangunsmith 06-29-2005 11:09 AM

Some reloading manuals,well most of them will have different results with powders listed. Some are shot in different lenght barrels as there test results,and all are shot in different conditiions. One main thought also,as manuals just being a guide,not written in granite,is that older manuals will have a real difference in stats! Some of there old starting loads are max loads now days.The reason is liability law suits,that our community of lawyers has created. Always check with one or more manuals to double check the loads you want to use. vangunsmith

Slamfire 06-29-2005 11:43 PM

I have at least one rifle that thnks Lyman loads are hot. But another usin' the same cartridge ain't at all impressed. Every gun is a law unto itself.;)

FastShootingCarts 06-30-2005 12:14 AM

I here ya. I think I will experiment with different powders and different loads keeping in mind the max loads for each.

Thanks.

handloader1 06-30-2005 10:35 PM

I think one cannot have to many handloading manuals. When I first start to build a load, I look at about 16 manuals. ;);)Good luck.