HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Nickel plated brass...good or bad? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/103457-nickel-plated-brass-good-bad.html)

jdircksen 06-21-2005 05:08 AM

Nickel plated brass...good or bad?

I like the looks of nickel and susposedly it's more durable and longer lasting than brass, but I've also heard the nickel plating is like sandpaper on the inside and the bullet experiences more friction as it is propelled out of the casing. I also read that nickel brass and moly bullets don't get along.

Please educate me on nickel plating vs regular brass.

thanks

bigcountry 06-21-2005 06:47 AM

RE: Nickel plated brass...good or bad?

I like regular myself. A few reasons.

If FL sizing with a typical RCBS die, nickel doens't seem as springy as say brass. So when seating a bullet, it can be rougher. This can cause runout issues or bullet not loaded straight.

Nickel is hard to trim. Doesn't really cut like brass, but chips.

Lastly, if you are going to go with a type of brass for a gun, you need to stick with it. If you change to different brands or type, you load can change. Sometimes nickel seems hard to find, sometimes not. but brass seems to be constant.

I never worry about damage to my dies or anything like that. But I would only use a collet die with nickel or bushing die.j

I have nickel lying around but always seem to pass it up when loading.

rick_reno 06-21-2005 07:42 AM

I don't like it - it "feels" brittle.

handloader1 06-21-2005 10:31 PM

Just make sure the nickle is not flaking from the brass because it will scratch your die. Good luck.

thndrchiken 06-22-2005 08:10 PM

I use it for my hunting loads, for load development and practice I use regular brass. Don't think it really makes a difference but I just like to do it.

vangunsmith 06-22-2005 09:07 PM

There is advanatages and disadvatages to everything. Nickel plated brass is harder,and must be FL. resized when virgin brass and deburred both inside and out. Then with a good chamfer on the inside your bullets will seat a little easier. But the brass beibg harder they will seat a little harder and must be done in a slower motiion. Nice since they don,t oxidize like brass will. Some people like shiny brass & they seem to cycle better in most firearms. vangunsmith

Mark whiz 06-26-2005 02:24 PM

I've reloaded plenty of nickel cases in pistol & rifle and never had a problem with their "hardness" or with flaking of the plating. But you do have to watch out for it. One good thing about it is that is doesn't tarnish like brass does - so I use it for my pistol defense loads which sit for awhile.
I reloaded a set of Win .308 nickel cases over a dozen times (until the primer pockets got too loose from wear) and they always worked well. I DID anneal those cases every 3rd loading and that probably helped to keep them from getting brittle.

FastShootingCarts 06-26-2005 04:37 PM

Do the Nickel cases hold up better than the Brass?

Mark whiz 06-26-2005 05:14 PM

I wouldn't say the nickel cases last any longer than plain brass. In some cases theymay last as long, and probably in some cases they won't.

FastShootingCarts 06-26-2005 11:36 PM

I'm talking about .357mag. Nickel vs. Brass for reloading. I have about 300 Federal brass cases in .357mag. Should I be purchasing Nickel Cases or will the Federal Brass hold up?