Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Brass start to finish >

Brass start to finish

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Brass start to finish

Old 06-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Brass start to finish

What do you guys do to your brass as far as Do you clean them with or with out primers. Do you use your resising die to pop out primers or do you use something else.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Brass start to finish

My brass goes straight from the ammo case to the tumbler (50/50 mix of fine walnut/corncob from the pet store with Iosso polish). After they are tumbled to a like-new shine (2-6 hours, depending on how grungy they are), I size and deprime each piece. Then I clean each primer pocket, being careful to check each flash hole for media and cleaning then out with an extra decapping rod as needed. Then I being priming and loading.

Now if you want to know what I do for case prep with new brass, than a whole different story.

Mike
Old 06-07-2005, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

My brass also hits the tumbler before sizing, just got tired of my hands getting filthy while lubing and handling. It also prevents your dies from getting scratched/dirty.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I put all the dirty brass right into the tumbler, for about an hour or so, then size, and clean the primer pockets, as well as all the neck prep, then place them back into the tumbler until they are nice and shiny. Then I prime, charge, and seat the bullet.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

As usual Im the weirdo here, I resize, deprimer, trim, debur, primer pocket clean, and finally tumble.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:06 PM

Mr Longbeard,

One of the least expensive tools you can spend money on is a universal decapping die. One die does all. I use mine to remove all primers, and then clean the primer pockets. Cases then go into the case cleaner. With the burnt carbon already gone, the cleaning media stays cleaner, useable, longer. The cases are resized and trim for length after being removed ftom the cleaner. Once the cases have been sizeded and trimed, they go back into the cleaner to remove all lube. When removed from the cleaner the second time, I either load them or put them into ammo boxes to be stored until they will be loaded. I hope that this is of some help. Good luck.
Bob
Old 06-07-2005, 11:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tumbling is my last step before priming. Good luck.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wipe my brass off with a rag before I lube and resize them.
Never found a reason to tumble them, though some day I might get a tumbler.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:52 AM

My routine is pretty much like Charlie Brown's. A quick run in the tumbler first to get the worst off the brass and to keep from scratching the dies, resize/deprime, then back in the tumbler for a final cleaning. I think this is a 'to each their own', but this works for me.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:29 AM

The Universal Depriming die is your friend.

Don

Quick Reply: Brass start to finish

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.