Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Non Hunting > Religion
Do we assume that the fruits of the Spirit are growing in our lives? >

Do we assume that the fruits of the Spirit are growing in our lives?

Religion Discuss how your religious views affect your hunting lifestyle. All religions are welcome to post.

Do we assume that the fruits of the Spirit are growing in our lives?

Old 03-22-2020, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do we assume that the fruits of the Spirit are growing in our lives?

Do we assume that the fruits of the Spirit are growing in our lives?Having grown up in church, each time I read in Galatians 5 about the fruits of the Spirit I just "assumed" that was what was growing and being produced in my life. Then one day I read both columns and gulped and realized there were more then a few characteristics that were an everyday part of my life from the other column of traits. That is when true conviction and repentance touched my head and heart; it wasn't long after that I was changed and received the gift of the Holy Spirit. So naturally I come back to this passage of Scripture often. I believe in progressive sanctification that becomes a part of our life after the initial change takes place in us. The column of results of living in the flesh guided by self should be decreasing and the column of the fruits of the Spirit as we learn to walk in the Spirit should be on the increase in our daily and new life in Christ Jesus. To me, this passage helps to illustrate the importance of what is called by Jesus in John Chapter 3, being born again. That is what happens after the Father draws us to His Son Jesus so that we can be placed in Christ, receive the Holy Spirit to dwell in us after the cleansing of His Blood when we are convicted and repent and accept Jesus into our life. The changes are dramatic. I've come to learn that these changes should not be taken lightly but should be taken to heart so that we live in this new way and life that has been given to us. We should as quickly as possible learn to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit in our heart and not to go against what we now know we should do. We should no longer defile our conscience, for if we do, Scripture tells us we are headed for a shipwreck (Timothy 1:18-20 https://biblehub.com/1_timothy/1-18.htm)

Does anyone else see it this way or do you have other thoughts and beliefs?

◄ Galatians 5 ►
New Living Translation
Freedom in Christ

1 So Christ has truly set us free. Now make sure that you stay free, and don’t get tied up again in slavery to the law.

2 Listen! I, Paul, tell you this: If you are counting on circumcision to make you right with God, then Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3 I’ll say it again. If you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey every regulation in the whole law of Moses. 4 For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.

5 But we who live by the Spirit eagerly wait to receive by faith the righteousness God has promised to us. 6 For when we place our faith in Christ Jesus, there is no benefit in being circumcised or being uncircumcised. What is important is faith expressing itself in love.

7 You were running the race so well. Who has held you back from following the truth? 8 It certainly isn’t God, for he is the one who called you to freedom. 9 This false teaching is like a little yeast that spreads through the whole batch of dough! 10 I am trusting the Lord to keep you from believing false teachings. God will judge that person, whoever he is, who has been confusing you.

11 Dear brothers and sisters,a if I were still preaching that you must be circumcised—as some say I do—why am I still being persecuted? If I were no longer preaching salvation through the cross of Christ, no one would be offended. 12 I just wish that those troublemakers who want to mutilate you by circumcision would mutilate themselves.b

13 For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love. 14 For the whole law can be summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”c 15 But if you are always biting and devouring one another, watch out! Beware of destroying one another.

Living by the Spirit’s Power

16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. 18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses.

19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.

22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!

24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. 25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. 26 Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another.[/i]

Footnotes:
a5:11 Greek Brothers; similarly in 5:13.
b5:12 Or castrate themselves, or cut themselves off from you; Greek reads cut themselves off.
c5:14 Lev 19:18.
Old 03-22-2020, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

Sanctification is not a popular message these days.

-Jake
Old 03-22-2020, 04:58 PM
Fork Horn

It's hard because the growth I have experienced has looked more like the Alps on a chart, rather than a straight line up. So today? Yeah. I feel like I'm walking in the Spirit and growing. Tomorrow? Get back with me.
Old 03-28-2020, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grizzly, this is one of the most important lessons the Bible teaches
2 Listen! I, Paul, tell you this: If you are counting on circumcision to make you right with God, then Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3 I’ll say it again. If you are trying to find favor with God by being circumcised, you must obey every regulation in the whole law of Moses. 4 For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.

I have spent a lot of years studying scripture and gaining deeper understandings of it. One day it finally dawned on me that Jesus summed it up with Love thy neighbor and honor God. Loving our neighbors (works) is much more important than being circumcised or judging our neighbor because he might not be.

The verses you quoted further that simple message.

Thanks for an insightful thread.
Mr-Pirk